Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Having an Embrodery Machine Serviced? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/having-embrodery-machine-serviced-t104286.html)

CarrieAnne 03-02-2011 05:45 AM

Okay, since alot of us are newbys or want a new machine....I am wondering, do you need to have them serviced often?
This was my issue getting a computerized machine....I can clean and oil and do alot to my vintage, but I wouldnt dare take the embrodery apart, lol!
How much does a service cost? Do they get out of tension easily?
I am so sorry all these question......I really think they would help us new embroderers!

grann of 6 03-02-2011 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Okay, since alot of us are newbys or want a new machine....I am wondering, do you need to have them serviced often?
This was my issue getting a computerized machine....I can clean and oil and do alot to my vintage, but I wouldnt dare take the embrodery apart, lol!
I am so sorry all these question......I really think they would help us new embroderers!

I get my machines serviced yearly, more often if they get particularly linty. My Vikings cost about $100 for the service. They shouldn't get out of tension because they are electronic and everything is controlled by the computer. I had a tension issue last year with my SE at Christmas time while embroidering; took it in for service and it needed a new "mother board" or some such thing, no charge to me. My computer geek kids tell me this is something that can happen to any computer; not a rare thing. The only thing that I find a disadvantage with a computerized machine is that if you are sewing with a very heavy fabric, layers of upholstery fabric or heavyweight denim, sometimes the motor will "overload" at a seam and you have to wait a couple minutes for it to recover before resuming. Otherwise I LOVE my computerized machines. Just remember that you get what you pay for. Do your research and test drive many. Think about what you will use it for, then go one step up. Because I can guarantee that you will be hooked and wish you had gotten more than what you thought you would use.

CarrieAnne 03-02-2011 06:05 AM

Great advice as always, Grann of 6! Really not to much more than haveing a regular one serviced then.
I justwish I were bettter with computers!

sewnsewer2 03-02-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

I get my machines serviced yearly, more often if they get particularly linty. My Vikings cost about $100 for the service. They shouldn't get out of tension because they are electronic and everything is controlled by the computer. I had a tension issue last year with my SE at Christmas time while embroidering; took it in for service and it needed a new "mother board" or some such thing, no charge to me. My computer geek kids tell me this is something that can happen to any computer; not a rare thing. The only thing that I find a disadvantage with a computerized machine is that if you are sewing with a very heavy fabric, layers of upholstery fabric or heavyweight denim, sometimes the motor will "overload" at a seam and you have to wait a couple minutes for it to recover before resuming. Otherwise I LOVE my computerized machines. Just remember that you get what you pay for. Do your research and test drive many. Think about what you will use it for, then go one step up. Because I can guarantee that you will be hooked and wish you had gotten more than what you thought you would use.

Great advise! Mother boards (unless under warranty) are EXPENSIVE to replace. Mine went out and it was under warranty so no cost to me.
Look for one with a large (at least 5x7) hoop or you will wish you had.Also a USB capability.

CarrieAnne 03-02-2011 06:19 AM

I just have a Brother SE350, I got on clearence at Walmart. I has a 4 x 4 and I dont think it has the USB capability...but its easy to use and learn on.
Of course I am dreaming of a bigger one already, but this will do fornow, lol!

grann of 6 03-02-2011 06:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)

I just have a Brother SE350, I got on clearence at Walmart. I has a 4 x 4 and I dont think it has the USB capability...but its easy to use and learn on.
Of course I am dreaming of a bigger one already, but this will do fornow, lol!

That is exactly why I said to buy one step up from what you think you will use. Last year I bought the Viking Topaz 30 because I didn't think I could justify the cost of the Diamond. I used it just less than a year and wished I had gotten the Diamond. Talked to my dealer about a trade-in. Then she called me and said if I bought the freshly serviced floor model (with an extended warranty included for no extra cost) I could keep the Topaz and still save $3000. Needless to say that is what I did. Now I keep the Topaz upstairs and the others in the basement. I have been told that the Vikings are more computer friendly than other machines. I don't know how true that is, but I know they are very easy to use and understand. I love the USB hookup on the Diamond. And I can do huge embroideries. I posted this before; don't know if you saw it, but I did this in one hooping on the Diamond. The embroidery itself is 3 1/2"x 13 1/2".

bakermom 03-02-2011 08:46 AM

buy the one with the biggest hoop that you can afford. You won't regret it. I have the Brother Ult. 2002D. It's never given me any trouble until a year ago. Something went out with a sensor. Replacing that, a new plate, and the"newer" version of the emb. foot cost about $250. It's working like new now. I use it as my main machine to sew/quilt as well as using the emb. unit nearly every day.

CoyoteQuilts 03-02-2011 11:03 AM

Around here embroidery service starts at $179.00 the last time I took mine in. For the person that paid 3-5 thousand dollars for their machine it is cheap.... for me who paid 5 HUNDRED it is steep...... Yeah, I know I got a GREAT deal--it is a Brother Disney 2003.....

callie 03-02-2011 02:27 PM

I bought mine from a Janome dealer and I get 2 years free yearly services and then I think I pay $35. If not under warranty think he charges about $80. I know for sure I am super happy with the Janome's I've purchased. Definitely search for best deal and biggest hoop capability and usb capability for designs. A lot of times you can put the cost on a GE Money Credit card with up to a year to pay and no interest. Keep that in mind. Tension isn't a problem I've ever had with any of my machines. Last year I upgraded to a Janome 11000MC and absolutely love it! Good luck and my other advice would be to make sure it can be serviced locally. Can get expensive if you have to send it for servicing and cleaning.

PaperPrincess 03-02-2011 02:59 PM

I have vikings and cleaning and tune ups are $90. I usually have them serviced about every 16-18 months.