Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hawaiian Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hawaiian-quilting-t186853.html)

DixieD 04-22-2012 06:15 AM

Hawaiian Quilting

Has anybody ever made a Hawaiian quilt? I was in Maui for a couple years & started a traditional Hawaiin quilt. Everything is different..the patterns, applique, colors & echo quilting all over. I took a class in Maui for a pillow & learned how to applique in that style & since I've been back on the mainland, I've been trying to continue. I thought the pattern would be the hardest to do, then appliqueing the pattern on, but now that I'm into the quilting, it seems like it will take forever, 1 small hoop section at a time. I don't anybody else around here who has done any quilting at all, and I can't find any sites for Hawaiian quilters.

Petey 04-22-2012 08:33 AM

Pacific Rim Quilt Company web site has some useful info on it - I think this is the company that produced a great Hawaiian quilting video ( I watched it)- some libraries have this video. Try to find it - and yes, quilting is a time comsuming event but you do get faster the more you do it. At one time I think it was Crafty Bear here on the board tried to start an Hawaiian quilting "group" - don't know what happened to it or if it was just an idea - maybe other people can give us more imput on it - there are applique groups on the board - machine and hand. Anyone?

judy363905 04-22-2012 09:39 AM

I took an online class with Quilt University... you are so right the applique' was fairly easy to stitch... then came the echo "hand" quilting...I made the I think it was called the "Bread Plant" pattern wall hanging... not quite finished..glad you brought up the topic...I will move it closer to the top of my UFO.. Maybe try working on your project each day and you wil see progress... good luck

Judy in Phx, AZ

dunster 04-22-2012 09:51 AM

I haven't made a true Hawaiian quilt with the big design yet, but I made one with 12 individual Hawaiian motifs. I took the coward's way out and quilted it on the longarm. Pacific Rim Quilt Company's designs are instruction are wonderful, and if you have a chance to listen to Nancy Chong speak, or take a class from her you will be amazed at her knowledge and most of all her energy.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...lt-t72844.html

judy363905 04-22-2012 09:57 AM

Nancy Chong was the teacher at Quilt University...Now I remember.... she was great at answering questions and giving advise during our classes.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5161677)
I haven't made a true Hawaiian quilt with the big design yet, but I made one with 12 individual Hawaiian motifs. I took the coward's way out and quilted it on the longarm. Pacific Rim Quilt Company's designs are instruction are wonderful, and if you have a chance to listen to Nancy Chong speak, or take a class from her you will be amazed at her knowledge and most of all her energy.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...lt-t72844.html

AliKat 04-22-2012 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Petey (Post 5161530)
Pacific Rim Quilt Company web site has some useful info on it - I think this is the company that produced a great Hawaiian quilting video ( I watched it)- some libraries have this video. Try to find it - and yes, quilting is a time comsuming event but you do get faster the more you do it. At one time I think it was Crafty Bear here on the board tried to start an Hawaiian quilting "group" - don't know what happened to it or if it was just an idea - maybe other people can give us more imput on it - there are applique groups on the board - machine and hand. Anyone?

I agree, this is your best resource. The video is well worth it, too.

ali

snipforfun 04-22-2012 07:43 PM

I made one with Quilt Smart.

Lmiller1647 04-22-2012 08:36 PM

I am making a very large Hawaiian quilt. I bought the pattern at a Wal-Mart on the Big Island. I am doing all the quilting by hand. It is taking me a very long time to complete. I have quilted all the applique and still need to do the echo quilting on the background. I hope someday to get it done. Good luck to you !!

DixieD 04-23-2012 12:34 PM

Thanks Judy...I think yours is "Breadfruit".....I really liked that fruit. It's more like a potato to eat when cooked. I thought about taking the class, but the book I bought when I was there was very helpful. My pattern is Breadfruit (Ulu) also. It looked easier to sew, especially the applique. My pillow was kukui...a nut tree. That was fairly easy also.

judy363905 04-23-2012 04:08 PM

Breadfruit

Dixie You are so right... the light bulb just went on...I will have to look up the kukkui pattern, and yes the breadfruit was fairly easy to needle turn. Thank you for enlightening me.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Originally Posted by DixieD (Post 5164413)
Thanks Judy...I think yours is "Breadfruit".....I really liked that fruit. It's more like a potato to eat when cooked. I thought about taking the class, but the book I bought when I was there was very helpful. My pattern is Breadfruit (Ulu) also. It looked easier to sew, especially the applique. My pillow was kukui...a nut tree. That was fairly easy also.