Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Head over Heels! shoe quilt for sale????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/head-over-heels-shoe-quilt-sale-t207476.html)

quilting.addict 12-02-2012 08:40 AM

Head over Heels! shoe quilt for sale?????

1 Attachment(s)
I got an email from someone who saw my quilt . She is not a quilter and asked where she could buy something like this. I am going to write back and offer to make her one (not hand-painted of course!). Many of you have seen this quilt as I was painting each block. So, would $500 be in the ballpark??? It is 54 x 65.
Jeannie
Bethlehem, GA

Knitette 12-02-2012 08:48 AM

I've no idea how much you should charge, but I do know from others on here that you should definitely get a deposit first. I would also put what you are going to do/make in writing, ​spelling everything out, so you are both clear of her expectations & your commitment.

PaperPrincess 12-02-2012 08:50 AM

I think $500 would be good for a throw that size, but if you don't hand paint the blocks, then how will the shoe motifs be reproduced?

pollyjvan9 12-02-2012 02:28 PM

$500 sounds pretty close if you are going to machine applique and it is a throw size. Still won't work out to much per hour though.

GrannieAnnie 12-02-2012 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 (Post 5694108)
$500 sounds pretty close if you are going to machine applique and it is a throw size. Still won't work out to much per hour though.

machine applique???

ckcowl 12-02-2012 04:36 PM

you need to figure out your costs- then your time- decide how much your time is worth to you and set a price- then ask for a 50% deposit & determine a time frame & shipping details (if it is a long distance transaction)
some people use a 3X their materials formula--include thread, batting, everything- some set a set 'wage amount' (like i charge $20 an hour to sew for someone) but all the details should be determined & agreed on- with a deposit before you spend a dime on making another one.... in writing is always a good idea.

Jan in VA 12-02-2012 06:26 PM

You have more to your credit than "just quiltmaking", you surely classify as a master artist and can charge whatever the market will bear. I personally feel that $500 is appropriate and hope you will NOT find that this client is ignorant of art, artists, various media, and what it will cost her. Stick by your guns on this one with a written contract and good deposit.

Best of luck!

Jan in VA

quilting.addict 12-02-2012 07:23 PM

J

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5694602)
You have more to your credit than "just quiltmaking", you surely classify as a master artist and can charge whatever the market will bear. I personally feel that $500 is appropriate and hope you will NOT find that this client is ignorant of art, artists, various media, and what it will cost her. Stick by your guns on this one with a written contract and good deposit.

Best of luck!

Jan in VA

Jan, oh wow, what nice compliments! I surely do appreciate them!!
Jeannie

LindaM 12-02-2012 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5694602)

Best of luck!

Jan in VA

Jan, I totally agree. What you're offering to do is *much* more than creating the quilt - your hard work and creativity in designing the shoes deserves to be recognized.

A little like asking Kaffe create a quilt for you from his fabric line - would be worth a whole lot more than the typical supplies x 3 formula :)

JMHO