Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   heat n bond versus fusibles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/heat-n-bond-versus-fusibles-t36138.html)

newbie1001 02-06-2010 05:38 AM

Hi, I am a new quilter who's been doing some applique on the blocks, so far using heat n bond. In some videos I see people using fusible web (?) for applique. Does that work the same as heat n bond, or is each product for a certain application? Thanks!

Darlene 02-06-2010 05:47 AM

It works similarly HeatnBond gives a firmer piece.

katier825 02-06-2010 08:09 AM

Heat & Bond light is a little softer. I like Lite Steam-a-seeam 2. It adheres to the fabric before you press and allows you to reposition before you iron. I especially like it on smaller pieces. At least they don't shift when you put the iron on them. Another thing I do on larger pieces is to cut out the middle of the fusible, leaving just the perimeter on the edge. The center is soft like a hand applique, but fused at the edges.

amma 02-06-2010 11:10 AM

Another option is to use Elmers glue around the edges to hold the pieces in place. It washes out, is cheaper, and heat sets with a dry iron in seconds :wink: You can hand or machine sew through it, and it does not gum up your needles. It keeps the fabrics softer feeling too, as you are not fusing them all together and then they feel stiffer.

Sharon321 02-06-2010 11:58 AM

Eleanor Burns uses fusible interfacing for more hand appliqued look. Go to her website and I bet there is a tutorial.

Prism99 02-06-2010 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by newbie1001
Hi, I am a new quilter who's been doing some applique on the blocks, so far using heat n bond. In some videos I see people using fusible web (?) for applique. Does that work the same as heat n bond, or is each product for a certain application? Thanks!

I also prefer Steam-a-Seam 2 Lite over Head n Bond as it seems softer to me.

MistyFuse is a newer fusible web that people rave about. I'm not sure if it comes with a paper backing or not. The advantage of MistyFuse is that it is a very fine fusible that does not stiffen the fabric. If it doesn't adhere to a paper backing, though, the way that other fusibles do, it may require adjustment in how the pattern is drawn on the fabric. Maybe you draw directly on the MistyFuse after it has been fused to the fabric? I don't know. If I had more time tonight, I'd look for a Youtube or other internet video on MistyFuse.

newbie1001 02-07-2010 10:23 AM

Thanks for all your answers! I've never heard of using Elmer's glue for doing applique. When you heat set it with an iron, don't you mess up your iron? Do you put a scrap piece of fabric between the iron and the applique? If it works, it seems like a much less expensive alternative.

jojo47 02-07-2010 04:11 PM

First of all, welcome newbie1001! This is an awesome, informative board.

Second, thanks to all of you for the great hints/suggestions. I haven't done much applique, but I'll be more willing to try it with these ideas.

Olivia's Grammy 02-07-2010 04:47 PM

Another thing I do on larger pieces is to cut out the middle of the fusible, leaving just the perimeter on the edge. The center is soft like a hand applique, but fused at the edges.[/quote]
This is the was I use Heat and Bond. I haven't used the other products. I am going to try the glue. I found the tips the other day so there's another project on my "next" to do list.

Darlene 02-14-2010 07:47 AM

I saw Nancy Zieman cut out the center for fusing and thought that was a good idea but isn't it wasteful?