Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Heat set quilt label- help please. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/heat-set-quilt-label-help-please-t37016.html)

roselady 02-15-2010 09:23 PM

Can someone tell me where I might find bubble jet? I've just looked on JoAnns website and Michaels and neither of them had it.

amma 02-15-2010 10:57 PM

http://www.dharmatrading.com/bjset.html

One is for pretreating the fabric and the other is to set the ink :D:D:D

ckcowl 02-16-2010 04:18 AM

one of the reasons your ink will run is if the fabric was not pre-washed, if it is not (pfd fabric---prepared for dying) because it has sizing added, so you start with washing that out, then dry, press, attach your freezer paper. run through printer...set aside to (cure) dry for at least 24 hours...then (with a pressing cloth on top) press well with hot heat...set aside to (cure) again. 24 hours later re-heat-set, cool, then do your (color-test) to see if it runs...
and
not all printer ink is created equal...i have found when i purchase the (expensive) cartridges that are made for my printer the ink lasts...when i've tried the re-filled less expensive cartiges the ink runs all over...
even if you use bubble jet the ink sometimes will still run so always test. another way to help (Set the ink) is to soak the fabric in white vinegar/h2o when you originally wash it, this seems to help...i've tried just about everything over the years (made about 15 quilts with pictures)and the first of my recommendations has worked the best consistantly...but it always matters if i have (cheap ink/good ink)
good luck, trial and error is how we learn :)

rndelling 02-16-2010 11:00 AM

If you didn't use Bubble Jet it will wash out. I don't have Bubble Jet either so after printing I use a permanent or gel pen and go over the printing. Then I heat set just to be sure. This has worked for me.

Sewing Grandma 02-16-2010 11:50 AM

I use freezer paper all the time and put my treated fabric on it (I use Bubble Jet). I have done photo quilts and pictures of our animals for the grandchildren and they have turned out fine. As long as you trim the fabric so no threads are sticking out there seems to be no problem.

Sewing Grandma 02-16-2010 11:52 AM

Before I got the Bubble Jet, I used Downy liquid softener and equal portion of water and soaked my fabric in that mixture and then dried, ironed it on freezer paper and printed. Don't know how it would be for multiple washings, but usually do photo pillows that wouldn't need to be washed.

Sewing Grandma 02-16-2010 11:55 AM

Try homesew.com, newarkdress.com or clotilde.com and search for Bubble Jet. They should have it.

cuppi duke 02-16-2010 04:26 PM

Even with Bubble Jet Set your fabric will fade. I used to do a lot of printing fabric on my printer until it jammed one day and ruined my printer. Now I go to the print shop. I would embroider your label.

sewcrafty 02-18-2010 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sewing Grandma
I use freezer paper all the time and put my treated fabric on it (I use Bubble Jet). I have done photo quilts and pictures of our animals for the grandchildren and they have turned out fine. As long as you trim the fabric so no threads are sticking out there seems to be no problem.

This is very interesting. One of my friends asked me to help her out with a memory quilt of her son that is recently deceased. We we're thinking of printing out a picture and framing it out. So if we print out a picture we need to use this bubble jet? OMG what if I didn't read this and her quilt got all messed up!!!! :-o Please help don't need to disappoint her with everything else she's dealing with.

Sewing Grandma 02-18-2010 05:42 AM

You don't need to use Bubble Set if you purchase the prepared sheets. I have found the fabric sheets at Walmart and have used them for fabric picture books for my grandchildren. I can't remember the brand name but someone in the fabric department would know. They can also be purchased through Nancy's Notions, Clotilde or just google fabric sheets and you will get other sources.