Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   heavy starch and pointy points (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/heavy-starch-pointy-points-t186422.html)

MrsBoats 04-17-2012 04:05 PM

heavy starch and pointy points

I'd like to say a heartfelt THANK YOU!!!!! to all of you who have casually mentioned that you like to starch your fabric until it's stiff. I've even seen some of you say that when you peel it off the ironing board it should stick straight out. I used to think that was overkill, but now I'm a believer!

I took a class over the weekend. I consider myself an advanced beginner (if that makes sense) and this is an ongoing drop-in-when-you-can BOM thing. Saturday's block is a star, and omg, the points have been driving me nuts. If only the fabric would stay still while I cut/sewed it!

And then I had a lightbulb moment. Actually, more of a stadium lights moment. I fished out another fat quarter, starched the dickens out of it, cut it, and ta da! My points are pointy!

I'm sold! Light starch on my blouses, heavy on quilt parts.

I learn so much from you guys!

auntpiggylpn 04-17-2012 04:08 PM

Welcome to the "other" side! It just makes your quilting life easier, doesn't it?!?

jaciqltznok 04-17-2012 05:40 PM

awesome to know...glad it worked so well for you!..PIX now!

alikat110 04-17-2012 05:55 PM

Yeah for Team Starch!!!! We won another one over!

Earleen 04-17-2012 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats (Post 5149462)
I'd like to say a heartfelt THANK YOU!!!!! to all of you who have casually mentioned that you like to starch your fabric until it's stiff. I've even seen some of you say that when you peel it off the ironing board it should stick straight out. I used to think that was overkill, but now I'm a believer!

I took a class over the weekend. I consider myself an advanced beginner (if that makes sense) and this is an ongoing drop-in-when-you-can BOM thing. Saturday's block is a star, and omg, the points have been driving me nuts. If only the fabric would stay still while I cut/sewed it!

And then I had a lightbulb moment. Actually, more of a stadium lights moment. I fished out another fat quarter, starched the dickens out of it, cut it, and ta da! My points are pointy!

I'm sold! Light starch on my blouses, heavy on quilt parts.

I learn so much from you guys!

What kind of starch did you use?

4dogs 04-17-2012 09:29 PM

that is my question too......what kind of starch? what I have tried so far really didnt do much for helping.....

Dotha 04-18-2012 12:50 AM

I have used the sta-puf liquid starch as well as spray starch. One teacher I had starches her fabric until it is like 'typing paper'. Can't argue with her, she wins national contests...an amazing piecer, appliquer and even more amazing quilter.

burchquilts 04-18-2012 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by 4dogs (Post 5150049)
that is my question too......what kind of starch? what I have tried so far really didnt do much for helping.....

I personally like sizing better than starch. But if I do use regular starch, I like to mix mine own up from the concentrate. Has anyone used that scented kind (maybe by Marti Mitchell or Mary Ellen or somebody)? I've seen them use it on Sewing With Nancy or Fons or Porter or some quilting show on PBS.

I like EVERYTHING I iron starched... even my pillowcases. I know... I'm a weird-o.

Chicca 04-18-2012 03:59 AM

I am a "new" believer myself; with the project I am working on right now, I starched till stiff the fabric and WOW was it fantastic to cut and stitch. Will definetely be a starch fanatic from now on.

Christine27 04-18-2012 04:08 AM

Has anyone ever starched faux suede? I'm working on embellishing fabric for a bag. I'm using several different brands of faux suede and batik cottons. I starched all my cottons and I'm ready to try starching the suede, on the back side and at a lower temp. That suede keeps wiggling around!