Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!! with 2" block pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-2-block-pattern-t176678.html)

RoundRobinP 01-23-2012 10:51 AM

Help!! with 2" block pattern

Hi all,

Could someone please suggest a link or pattern(s) for 2" blocks? I have inherited a box full.. I am open for suggestions. Thank you in advance...
Quilty Hugs,
Robin

jkretz 01-23-2012 04:59 PM

I have some that I have been doing 9 patch squares with. I plan to use them in a border in a quilt when I get enough put together to reach around a quilt. Or I could set then together with strips and cornerstones.

jkretz

RoundRobinP 01-23-2012 07:39 PM

Thank you!!! Great idea and they are scraps, so a scrapping I will go....
Happy Stitching,
Robin

IowaStitcher 01-23-2012 08:28 PM

A few years ago, I did a quilt with 2" squares. Sorted them by color. Had a simple shape/design on a grid - maybe like a counted cross stitch pattern. Got iron-on interfacing with a 2" grid and laid the fabric squares on the grid following the design/colors, pressed them down and then folded and stitched on each vertical line. Then clipped this fold on each intersection of the horizontal lines, folded and stitched the horizontal seams. I think directions for this technique are likely out there on the internet. Lots of fun and a 'complicated' pattern is made easy.

BETTY62 01-23-2012 08:46 PM

Please post a picture when your quilt top is finished. I know it will be beautiful.

sewbeadit 01-24-2012 02:03 AM

Some people just make random patch quilts with them. Or you could use them and make a four patch alternating with one larger patch, all sorts of things to do with them.

QM 01-24-2012 03:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One thing I like to do with them is 3D bow ties, which need 2 of one color and 3 of another. Unfortunately, I am not finding those right now. I guess I'll have to make one. The pictured quilt is called (among other things) Underground Railroad. Lots of patterns use 4 or 9 patches, which do not have to be just 2 or 3 colors. A single, double or triple Irish chain can be done scrappily either with plain alternate blocks or as a setting for other blocks or prints. If you browse through traditional patterns, such as those on www.quilterscache.com, you will find lots of uses. I also use lots of them in HSTs, either with a single alternate color or doing a light/dark variation. Carpenter's wheel can be made with them also.

QM 01-24-2012 03:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One way to use a bunch is in crumb chains, with a single background, such as white, black or navy. I am sure there is a name for this as well.

lizzy 01-24-2012 03:44 AM

A member in our quilt guild made a full size quilt with 2 inch squares (scrappy) and it was beautiful. Good luck.

CathyD2 01-24-2012 04:20 AM

I just used up a box of 2 1/2" squares.... Started out making scrappy 4-patches (light to dark was my only "rule")....The 4-patches grew into blocks made up of a total of 16 4-patches. I decided to make a "stress-free" quilt, nothing fancy, quilt as you go, stitched in the ditch... To make a long story short, I now have a queen-size quilt, full of color!! It's been a lot of fun, just "playing" with those little squares!!