Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with borders please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-borders-please-t42775.html)

woody 04-14-2010 11:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is a quilt I am making for my DD. It was a kit that I bought but I would like to make it longer. At the moment it is 57" x 49" and I would like to add about 12" to each end.
I made the strips using all the corners that I chopped off so I don't have any more of those fabrics available, they are 4"wide.
The second photo is of 3 batiks I have in my stash.
My question is, how would you do borders just to increase the length of the quilt and what colour/colours should I use. I was thinking of using 1 1/2" strips of the 3 colours on either side of my rainbow strip, but I think it might be too busy. I could buy another colour (as if I need an excuse to go fabric shopping lol) but which one? (DD likes the blues and green more than pinks and purples)
Any suggestions would be appreciated as DD wants her quilt, as it's starting to get cold here LOL

The quilt top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]60177[/ATTACH]

These are the fabrics I have
[ATTACH=CONFIG]60178[/ATTACH]

amma 04-14-2010 11:23 PM

Pretty quilt top :D:D:D

I would put a row of the purple, then the pieced strips and then a row of the green on the ends. Then use the blue for a border all of the way around.

katier825 04-15-2010 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's gorgeous! Love that pieced border too!

I think I'd put a narrow green border around your small pieced border, then another blue border on top/bottom to make it longer. If you want to make it wider, I'd use the same blue as the last border you used for top and bottom.

Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean about the narrow border on either side of the pieced section. Where the yellow is would be where you put the pieced border.

sewcrafty 04-15-2010 01:12 AM

First the quilt is gorgeous!! Since it looks like you only have enough to go down the sides, what if you broke up the blocks and make side corners with them. Any left over you could sprinkle in the sides. Like a pieced border. That way you could expand it and use one of the other colors as a framing border and then do the pieced then end with a larger border. Say put a 1" green frame border, the the pieced border with the blue and finish with the purple for the outside border. :-D

Or are you just wanting to add length? If so, then the picture above is a great example.

Pam 04-15-2010 03:24 AM

Beautiful work! I vote for scattering the little squares around the edges, but I like the row quilt, too.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-15-2010 12:30 PM

Beautiful quilt.

Fiber Artist 04-15-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Pretty quilt top :D:D:D

I would put a row of the purple, then the pieced strips and then a row of the green on the ends. Then use the blue for a border all of the way around.

I agree.Nice quilt!!

mamaw 04-15-2010 04:08 PM

IT definitely needs a solid in between the quilt and that busy border.

woody 04-16-2010 02:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I think I will un pick the border and just have single pinwheels scattered around. I'm still playing with it at the moment. I'll post an update when it's done.

Pam 04-16-2010 03:42 PM

Great! I look forward to seeing what you have done!