Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help deciding on sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-deciding-sewing-machine-t212905.html)

Marcy J. 02-03-2013 04:33 PM

Help deciding on sewing machine

I know there have been numerous posts regarding sewing machines. I have a Viking Sapphire which has issues. After reading so many positive remarks on the Janomes, I am considering the 8200 on which I received a good price. I went in with my own fabric to sew and try out the machine and did not have a positive experience. The salesperson could not find the ankle for the pressure foot, could not seem to work the needle threader and the machine labored over the beginning of several layers of denim. Also, it seemed that the pressure foot pressure was too tight maybe, as it did not sew smoothly or easily. Any thoughts or other Janome 8200 owners' views would be appreciated.

katier825 02-03-2013 04:51 PM

Hi, I don't know anything about the Janome, but I am a Sapphire 830 owner. Just curious, what kinds of issues are you having with it? I don't have issues with mine, but it is very different from any machine I ever owned. There was definitely a learning curve when I first got it.

quilter in the making 02-03-2013 05:37 PM

I have a Janome MC6600 that I bought one year ago. Absolutely love it for piecing and straight sewing. Haven't been able to get the tension right for free motion quilting, but I'm a beginner at FMQ and still have very uneven sewing speed and movements. It's a great machine.

Dolphyngyrl 02-03-2013 05:44 PM

Dont know about the janome but i can highly recommend the brother dreamweaver

Bataplai 02-03-2013 05:48 PM

I have the Elna eXcellence, which is made by Janome and so far I'm loving it. While it's got all the electronic goodies it has some features that give it the feel of a more manual machine. Hard to describe, but I like it a lot. If I had to find something to complain about it would be that there isn't a default setting for stopping needle down, I have to set that each time I turn on the machine, but it's the push of one button so no biggie. And, there is no low bobbin warning, but my other machine didn't have that either so again, no biggie.

grammo 02-03-2013 05:53 PM

I have a Janome 6600 and a 11000 LOVE them both. I use them both to FMQ.

pocoellie 02-03-2013 06:16 PM

Personally, I think the first thing I'd do is find a different dealer. The dealer should know practically everything about the machines that they sell.

quiltingcandy 02-03-2013 06:38 PM

I agree with pocoellie - your dealer obviously wants o sell you another machine. Not to have the machine ready to demonstrate is crazy. Some days things go awry - but not to have the machine ready is crazy. i have the Janome 6600P and a Viking Topaz 20. The Viking I got for the embroidery but it will sew several layers of denim like crazy. I can't remember how many layers she put in there and it could sew on denim where it looked like it came from the Jean's factory. Not sure if my Janome does that - haven't tried because I really don't sew on denim but it is nice to know it can.

nvb50 02-03-2013 07:35 PM

I have the Ruby and love it. Stay with the Viking.

Rose Marie 02-04-2013 05:37 AM

I love my Sapphire 830. Never had a problem with it.