Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Does everyone have problems with rotary cutters? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-does-everyone-have-problems-rotary-cutters-t35308.html)

Elisabrat 01-28-2010 08:31 AM

My blades are good for one quilt only. And if you put it on the wrong way it doesnt cut well at all.

SherriB 01-28-2010 08:33 AM

I have had my Fiskars cuttar for a while and it has never gave me any problems. I just changed the blade the other day and it is cutting perfectly. I have used generic blades and Olfa blades and can't tell a difference in either one.

Boston1954 01-28-2010 08:49 AM

My Fiskars does that too. After a bit it eases up.

joeyoz 01-28-2010 09:05 AM

Check to make sure you only have 1 blade on there. It has been known to happen getting 2 on there by accident. Ask me how I know? LOL

Tippy 01-28-2010 09:25 AM

One other question.. what kind of cutting mat do you have? I have a couple of different ones, and the June Taylor one is VERY hard on blades. it's not as "spongy" as the self healers and therefore dulls the blades faster.

butterflywing 01-28-2010 12:16 PM

if the mat has a lot of fine cuts, the blades may be falling into those grooves. try cutting with the rotary cutter on the opposite side of the matt ad see what happens. i wouldn't throw the blades away until i checked out everything. it can't be every single blade.

kd124 01-28-2010 10:59 PM

My favorite cutter is a Fiskars and the only times I have had trouble were when I didn't get it put back together correctly or too tight (it should roll smoothly across the mat). Be careful about too much pressure as this can damage the mat.

Flagmom 01-29-2010 03:37 AM

Thank You to everyone for your suggestions. I have tried them all. I first checked to see if I only had one blade in and then if I had put it together right. I changed to a different mat that I had just purchased. I losened the nut a little but for some reason as I use the cutter the nut works loose to almost falling off. I have to keep screwing it back on. Nothing seemed to remedy my situation. I did manage to get the squares blocked and I am now ready to continue sewing. Hopefully top will be finished tomorrow. I guess I am going to have to invest in another cutter when I can manage to save enough money to buy one. Thanks again

butterflywing 01-29-2010 09:38 PM

not yet. take everything apart and put it back together again a different way. this time keep track. if it doesn't work, try a different way. keep trying and keeping track.

the reason the nut keeps loosening is that the parts are in the wrong order. i've done that. and there's a little springy thing to give it tension that has to face the correct side. try that both ways.

kd124 01-29-2010 10:13 PM

Check the package the new blade came with if you still have it. I can't remember which blade it was that I got (I have several) that had a diagram showing the correct way to assemble it.