Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP, Everything is RED (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-everything-red-t201933.html)

Geri B 10-02-2012 05:06 AM

see, the secret is do not buy anything red......who is the mfg of this bleeding mess??????? I just cannot believe that with the price of fabric as high as it is they cannot control the bleed factor...maybe we should all write and complain and see what happens........

QuiltE 10-02-2012 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 5556245)
see, the secret is do not buy anything red......who is the mfg of this bleeding mess??????? I just cannot believe that with the price of fabric as high as it is they cannot control the bleed factor...maybe we should all write and complain and see what happens........

And are you going to no longer use blues?
greens?
blacks?
oranges?
browns?
purples?
yellows?
etc. etc.

Bleeding is not exclusive to reds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's no reason to NOT use any colours ... just prepare them properly before sewing to avoid the heartbreaks. :)

grammy Dwynn 10-02-2012 05:50 AM

I was in a rush to wash (with Orvis) a red/black/white quilt one early morning. I did not have any Retayne or Synthropol. But did prewash my fabrics and had color catchers, so thought it should be okay. $&^(^%^ it bled!!! OH NO, closest LQS is 30 minutes away (still in PJ's) and the would not be open for a couple of hours. Searched online and found someone suggesting Dawn Dish Soap (blue original Concentrate, which I had). Figured I had nothing to loose. Washed again with Dawn and color catcher, 95% of red is gone and color catcher is pink. Washed again ~ white color catcher and NO red on the white. :)

Tartan 10-02-2012 06:00 AM

As maddening as this has been, it is still better to find the bleed now than in a quilt. I would use the red in another project that will not matter if the red bleeds again. How about some of the clothesline bowls, cut into strips for a rag rug, shopping bags etc?

leighway 10-02-2012 06:42 AM

I have the same question....who manufactured the bleeding stuff and do you recall where you bought it? You'd be doing the rest of us a favor, a heads-up when we go to purchase.

kwajgirl 10-02-2012 07:22 AM

If you have nothing to loose,rit makes a dye remover that i have used to remove dye that migrated to white on a shirt. It took the dye out, did not harm the shirt color. In my stores it is in the laundry section. Might be worth a try unless you can use the fabric as is.

I always put a dye catcher sheet in my laundry - never know what might surprise me and fade. Plus, if you do modern art quilts the used dye sheets make interesting bits in an art quilt.

wildyard 10-02-2012 04:30 PM

Don't trash the fabric. If you won't use it, sell it here on the board, surely someone else can find a way to use it.

maviskw 10-03-2012 07:51 PM

Tonight I heard of a friend who bought an Amish quilt. Her husband said she had to wash it, so she did: a queen size quilt in a top loader home machine. The red bled all over the white. She was told to spray the white with Zout. She did; washed it in a commercial machine, and the red is gone from the white.

Twisted Quilter 12-10-2013 04:17 PM

UPDATE

Just ran across the red fabric from 2012 that bled all over, even after about 6 washings. Really hated to throw it out because it was a such gorgeous red so, I decided to try it again,TWICE! Yep, still bleeds. It's going in the trash tomorrow. :thumbdown:

stillclock 12-10-2013 05:20 PM

dylon's sos color run.

it seriously saved a red disaster. magical stuff.

aileen