Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with first quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-first-quilt-t102599.html)

neberlin 02-24-2011 04:50 AM

I am currently working on my first quilt and am ready to start quilting - I have five 2" black strips that run the length of the quilt plus my black border - I am planning on "stitching in the ditch" and was going to use an "S" type stitch. I did my first row but the stitches were not even and I didn't like the look of it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of stitch would look good plus be a little easier to do. My quilt is around 50" wide x 60" long. I want to do this myself rather than give it to someone else to quilt. I am new to sewing and quilting so it has been a learning curve for me - kind of "winging" it while I go! Thanks for any help.

donnajean 02-24-2011 05:12 AM

1st, are you using a walking foot which will feed the fabric more evenly? I use YLI invisible thread for my top thread & my Viking Rose machine has a stitch that goes a couple stitches forward, nip, to the left, couple forward, nip to the right, & so on.

Originally Posted by neberlin
I am currently working on my first quilt and am ready to start quilting - I have five 2" black strips that run the length of the quilt plus my black border - I am planning on "stitching in the ditch" and was going to use an "S" type stitch. I did my first row but the stitches were not even and I didn't like the look of it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of stitch would look good plus be a little easier to do. My quilt is around 50" wide x 60" long. I want to do this myself rather than give it to someone else to quilt. I am new to sewing and quilting so it has been a learning curve for me - kind of "winging" it while I go! Thanks for any help.

JuneD 02-24-2011 05:28 AM

I'm also semi-new to quilting. I have made a couple of wallhanging quilts and used the SITD (stitch in the ditch). It's the easiest for me. Make sure you're using your walking foot and go SLOW. I found on my last quilt, my SITD turned out a lot better because I was going slower. You are a lot braver than I am by using the S pattern. I hope this helps a little.

gal288 02-24-2011 05:32 AM

I use the stitch you are talking about all the time, I find that if you lengthen & widen it to the widest it woorks best. Also, you want to be sure that you start at the same point, that way you get a wavy effect.

Practice on a scrap to see the different effects that you an achieve.

I also mirror image the stitch start at the same point & you get a interlocking stitch, which looks coool.

Play around, itt's a good utilitarian stitch to maaster. Keep a master sammple, I write right on the scrap the stitch #, length, & width then when I. Wannt to use it again, I have the info at hand.

ranger 02-24-2011 05:43 AM

I've used the feather stitch on my machine and quilted down the middle of my 2" sashing strips. Sometimes I do the 'across' sashings that way too. I set my machine for the widest width and the longest length but you can always play around with width and length until you find something you like.

neberlin 02-24-2011 06:00 AM

Yes, I am using a walking foot - I have practiced different stitches on scraps but it is not the same as having the quilt sitting in your lap while it goes through.

clem55 02-24-2011 11:29 AM

I use the feather stitch or the faggoting stitch, loved the look.