Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with first quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-first-quilt-t232676.html)

JenelTX 10-18-2013 05:02 AM

First, major congratulations on your baby!!! :) And good for you, for just jumping right in with your first quilt. What's the worst that could happen? It's just fabric, batting, and thread. If something happens to it, you'll make another.

Your quilt is adorable! Stitch-in-the-ditch and echo quilting will look really nice and will make the characters stand out. Yes, I do think you want to quilt in the character's belly. That's a lot of negative space, and if you leave it unquilted, I don't think you'll be happy with the way the fabric looks. I suggest doing barrel-shaped quilting that will add to the illusion that his belly is round. I loved Nan's suggestion of the rays extending outward from the characters.

piepatch 10-18-2013 05:04 AM

I don't have an idea for you on how to quilt it, but your quilt top is absolutely precious!

nanna-up-north 10-18-2013 05:07 AM

WOW! First quilt?? You've done an amazing job. Now on to the quilting. My suggestion is that you mimic lines that you might see in real life. .... a knot hole in the tree, fur (pointy lines) on the belly.... clam shells in the sky (kinda looks like clouds). I did a quilt once that looks like the cross-section of our lake with loons on the top and fish swimming in the lake. There's even rock on the bottom to resemble the bottom of the lake.... oh, a log across the bottom that the fish like for hiding. Anyway, I quilted wavy lines for the water, with circles around the loons.... that's what you see in real life, a knot hole on the log and clam shells in the sky. And it turned out great. Everybody that sees that quilt loves it and says it's so realistic.

Do check the instructions so you quilt closely enough but I do agree that you need your quilting to be close enough to be durable for that new baby. It will get used and washed so often and close quilting will hold everything right where it needs to be.

So, have fun..... make it come to life with your quilting. That's what makes this hobby such fun. .... doing what feels right.

susie-susie-susie 10-18-2013 06:38 AM

Everyone has given you good advice. I would also quilt the white belly. Even when the batting says 10 inches, I quilt much closer. You don't want the batting to shift. Your quilt is beautiful, and congratulations on the new baby. Let us know how you finish the quilt and if you are expecting a boy or girl. So exciting.
Sue

mighty 10-18-2013 06:56 AM

All the quilting suggestions sound great, just wanted to add that your quilt is sew cute!!!!!!!!!

JustAbitCrazy 10-18-2013 01:18 PM

Your quilt top is totally adorable, and you are to be commended for doing such a great job on your first quilt! My first quilt never even got finished...I agree with everyone else on the quilting suggestions. I would outline quilt around all the applique pieces (very close to them). On the owl's belly, you will definitely need some quilting. I would do half circles (like clamshells) across the belly, to repeat the applique'd feathers which are there. I once quilted a child's quilt with owls in each block, and that's exactly what I did. It looked great.

klgls 10-19-2013 04:37 AM

Sounds like you have gotten some great advice and ideas - cute quilt and congrats on the baby and first quilt!

toverly 10-19-2013 02:31 PM

What a great quilt! Congratulations!

BETTY62 10-19-2013 08:41 PM

Your quilt is just too cute. Good luck with the quilting and the new baby.

kathdavis 10-19-2013 09:33 PM

Just want to say, "Very impressive for a first quilt." Good luck and congrats on the new lucky baby.