Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with FMQ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-fmq-t208249.html)

angiecub 12-11-2012 09:43 PM

Help with FMQ!

I'm new to FMQ. When I first started, I did pretty well on my Singer Featherweight. However, the last few times I've tried, I get several inches of skipped stitches. In fact, it is mostly skipped stitches and a few regular stitches. I'm very frustrated. I've tried larger needles, changing bobbin, tensions, etc. Please provide any advice you can or I'll be limited to stitch in the ditch forever! Thanks!

Mitch's mom 12-12-2012 03:00 AM

Is your needle inserted correctly? The flat side of the needle goes to the left and the needle threads right to left.

ckcowl 12-12-2012 03:27 AM

if you are moving your fabric faster than the machine is stitching you will also get skipped stitches- ensure the needle is inserted correctly (the needle size should be the correct size for the thread being used) rethread the machine- reinsert the bobbin- put together a small practice piece & try speeding up the machine speed & slowing down your fabric manipulation--it takes time/practice to find that perfect combination of speed/movement...i don't see a larger needle making a difference- unless the first one was not the right size for the thread you are using.

Jingle 12-12-2012 05:42 AM

Practice on a sandwich until it looks like you want it to. Move your hands a bit slower and wear gloves with rubber nubs.

Tashana 12-12-2012 05:53 AM

Slow down and / or move your quilt slower. this happens to me all the time when I rush to finish sOmething.

Stitchnripper 12-12-2012 06:05 AM

I am interested in how you FMQ on a Featherweight. Are there any special tricks to it? Other than your current situation, which I agree with all above on suggestions.

thimblebug6000 12-12-2012 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5715138)
I am interested in how you FMQ on a Featherweight. Are there any special tricks to it? Other than your current situation, which I agree with all above on suggestions.

When I took a mini course the instructor just used a generic darning foot, left the feed dogs up & set the stitch length to 0 and it worked like a charm. She said she never uses it for anything larger than a baby quilt though. I still haven't bought the right foot yet, my husqvarna feet won't work.

Milli 12-12-2012 08:10 AM

I hard that problem on my faithful 35 year old Kenny and it was the tension???

Stitchnripper 12-12-2012 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 5715449)
When I took a mini course the instructor just used a generic darning foot, left the feed dogs up & set the stitch length to 0 and it worked like a charm. She said she never uses it for anything larger than a baby quilt though. I still haven't bought the right foot yet, my husqvarna feet won't work.

Thanks. I will give it a try.

iwillquilt 12-12-2012 10:43 AM

I had that with my last quilt I worked on. I cut out a piece of notebook paper to fit inside the bobbin case before I put in my bobbin. That worked for me. I think they sell something like this but I don't know what it is called and I usually do my quilting on Sunday. No shops open withing an hour or two drive and I don't go that far for supplies if I can help it. Paper worked for me. Good luck.