Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help- Frayed Quilt Piece after Backing On (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-frayed-quilt-piece-after-backing-t82300.html)

pseudoquilter 12-12-2010 09:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just am finishing up with my second quilt (solo without help) and noted a frayed piece, I touched some fabric glue on it but what else can I do since I have stitched in the ditch and am ready for the binding. This is a Christmas present also.
Pat

Frayed Quilt PIece
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142190[/ATTACH]

amma 12-12-2010 09:56 AM

You could do some dense, decorative stitches around this block and a few more to incorporate them into the design. That along with the glue should hold and hide that spot :D:D:D

Linda71 12-12-2010 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by amma
You could do some decorative stitches around this block and a few more to incorporate them into the design :D:D:D

Good idea.

raptureready 12-12-2010 09:58 AM

Excellent idea!

Annaquilts 12-12-2010 09:58 AM

Can you pull it out a little, roll unto it self or work it under the piece next to it and stitch over it a couple of times? I can not see the res tof the quilt but if the above does not work, how about a heart applique that is used as a label to the recipient? I have done this and it actually added to the quilt. Go figure. ~smile~ I hope it comes together. such pretty colors.

Candace 12-12-2010 10:01 AM

If it's a gift, and it will be washed I would find a way to incorporate a few appliques into the quilt so it doesn't look like a "patch" but it really is. You need to make sure you're keeping at least a 1/4" seam throughout.

carolaug 12-12-2010 10:08 AM

Can you add a label with your name and date??? It would hide it completely.

Scissor Queen 12-12-2010 10:11 AM

Tuck a little snip of Wonder Under under it and tuck the seam allowance under and fuse it down. Then stitch over it with invisible thread.

pseudoquilter 12-12-2010 10:16 AM

Thank you for all the great ideas, you ladies always come through.

As for the decorative stitches, with Christmas bearing down I don't have the time or the expertise to try this.
I like the label idea (can you buy them at JoAnns?).

Many of the pieces were done by hand and some by machine, so the 1/4 in allowance could have been missed.

The rest of this story is almost comical. I cut the backing forgetting about the border so I had to splice another piece on but after stitching in the ditch you can't tell I did that. I had sewn the spliced piece of the backing on wrong, sewn the border on backwards. I did a lot of bad words with this project!
Pat

pseudoquilter 12-12-2010 10:22 AM

I have to laugh at your reply about the quilt being washed. This is a present for my Mom and if she even uses it let alone wash it, that will be a miracle! Bless her heart, she will be 86 yrs old and very "old school", many things we get her are put away, saved and never used.

Pat