Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help.....how do make "thick" quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-do-make-thick-quilt-t193113.html)

Valerie Ann 06-29-2012 08:53 AM

Help.....how do make "thick" quilt

My daughter has requested that the quilt that I am currently working on to be "thick." She said, "You know--like the store-bought comforter on my bed." So, how do I do that? Use polyester batting (rather than the wool or bamboo that I ordinarily use) or double the batting in it????? Looking forward to your responses and THANKS!

Prism99 06-29-2012 09:00 AM

I think Quilter's Dream Puff is a poly batting that gives that kind of high loft. Just be aware that high loft battings are more difficult to quilt, whether by machine and by hand.

QuiltE 06-29-2012 09:10 AM

Also, keep in mind that quilting flattens out the puffy-ness your DD desires. Chances are the comforters that she likes has little quilting. Check the battings for the maximum distance between quilting.

TanyaL 06-29-2012 09:28 AM

My favorite comforter is between 3-4 inches thick and the quilting is 6 inches apart. It is a simple grid pattern. Just in case this information is helpful to you.

Scissor Queen 06-29-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann (Post 5326147)
My daughter has requested that the quilt that I am currently working on to be "thick." She said, "You know--like the store-bought comforter on my bed." So, how do I do that? Use polyester batting (rather than the wool or bamboo that I ordinarily use) or double the batting in it????? Looking forward to your responses and THANKS!

I personally would tell her that I don't make store comforters and she's getting a quilt. The high loft poly you can buy is a huge pain to work with.

Greenheron 06-29-2012 03:03 PM

H-m-m-m-m. I recently wanted to make a quilt like your daughter requested--I used a thrift store comfort for the filling and tied the layers with buttons and perle cotton. The comfort was already stitched so the tying was as much decorative as useful. Yes, it's a comforter but with a pieced top.

If you want the quilted look, layer your top with a thin batt and backing and quilt the three layers. Use the resulting quilt as the top layer of an "envelope" or casing with your choice of an additional backing. You would only need to bind one edge--the other three would be sewn to the second back, right sides together and the result turned right-side-out. Insert a comfort. Button or velcro or tie closed. So easy to wash if the comfort is removable. With the batt and lining, the comfort shouldn't show through. Voila! A nice, thick quilt of the kind your daughter desires.

ckcowl 06-29-2012 03:36 PM

there are a number of 'High-Loft' batts on the market. generally polyester batts are loftier than cotton- which compresses pretty flat.
with a high loft batt you do not have to do much quilting- and it also works well for tied quilts.

masufa 06-29-2012 03:41 PM

I would use the high-loft bat and tie it.

Cylithria 06-29-2012 03:41 PM

For a similair request from my "neice", I used an extremely thin, featherweight batting and instead of making a completed quilt, I actually made the lightweight quilt into a Duvet Cover. (The backing of the quilt top becomes the fabric pocket for the duvet.) Quilted, Super "thick" once the Quilted Duvet Cover was in place on her duvet, and smiles for all. :)

Good luck with whatever you work out. I'm sure your daughter will love it.

Patquiltz 06-29-2012 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann (Post 5326147)

There is a distinct difference between quilts and comforters. Quilts are quilted and comforters are tied, which is one reason why they are thicker. So make her quilt top, use the ligh loft batting and then just tie it. If it states that the quilting should be 4 to 6 inches apart, then place your ties accordingly. It will be much faster and easier, DD will be happy and so wii you!
Patquiltz