Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP How to make pieced backing?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-make-pieced-backing-t45234.html)

quilter2 05-08-2010 10:27 AM

All I have left to do is add my last border on my Beatles quilt with the panel in center. I did my best but its not straight, off about 1/2". I have all this Beatles fabric left and they are large pieces, can someone tell me how to go about making a pieced backing with my leftovers. I need 76"x88" for backing. I've never done this so please all your help would be appreciated.

dsb38327 05-08-2010 10:32 AM

I am going to let the veterans help. I would just get you in more trouble than your in now. Sorry, good luck.

MadQuilter 05-08-2010 10:58 AM

I would measure all the pieces and write those measurements down, incicating whether the piece is directional or not. I would also audition the fabrics to see if any of them don't work with certain other ones.

Option 1: I play with graph paper. First I mark the finished backing size you need (remember you want the backing to be larger than the finished top) on the graph paper and then puzzle the other sizes into that outline. I usually just pencil mine in but I have cut pieces of post it notes and placed them in the outline. Eventually, I end up with a layout that works.

Option 2: Just pick pieces that have the same dimension along one side (or trim one to match the other) and sew them together. Add on in the same manner until one row is done. Make a second row and so on until you have a backing.

I press the seams on the backing open to keep bulk down.

Pam 05-08-2010 11:55 AM

If you are planning to send it out to have it quilted, check to see how much extra they need to do a good job!

katier825 05-08-2010 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did one in large sections with a coordinating color in between. I sewed the center section first, trimmed it square, then added more borders around the whole outside of that. Graph paper is a good way to sketch it out.

Gal 05-08-2010 12:09 PM

Katie, love what you have done here, it looks like it was mean't to be that way!

Gal

katier825 05-08-2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gal
Katie, love what you have done here, it looks like it was mean't to be that way!

Gal

Thanks, I think if you take your time working out the details and not just throw it together, it can look as planned as the front! :)

littlehud 05-08-2010 02:26 PM

I would use the graph paper too. I have EQ6 and use that to plan a pieced back.

pzquilter 05-08-2010 06:15 PM

I made a quilt top using the Joann's Mystic Blue block of the month fabric blocks and added borders to make it bigger to fit my bed. I ended up having to make the top larger by using some of my backing fabric. When I did that...I found that I didn't have enough fabric to complete the backing with the fabric so I had to piece the backing with fabric from the backing and fabric left over from the top. I had fat quarters that matched some of the fabric from the front so I made 10.5 inch nine patch blocks from the fat quarters and backing fabric as well as solid 10.5 inch squares from the backing fabric. I alternated the nine patches and the backing blocks and made another quilt top for my backing. I made the quilt bottom for the backing smaller than the quilt top and then started adding borders of fabrics (4 borders) with the last border being the largest (six inches). This brought my quilt backing to be approximate 3 inches longer and wider on the sides and bottom. I centered the top and bottom quilts and sandwiched them. I tied my quilt. I actually like the back of my quilt better than the top...LOL. I call my quilt Mystic Blue Two For Quilt as I got two quilts in one.

Ditter43 05-08-2010 08:53 PM

Just don't have a seam running down the center back of your quilt.....

Ditter