Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! How many different fabrics in Trip Around the World Block? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-many-different-fabrics-trip-around-world-block-t201587.html)

Valerie Ann 09-26-2012 09:44 AM

Help! How many different fabrics in Trip Around the World Block?

Dark Fabric--check.
Light Fabric--check.
Middle Square--check.
Size--Queen
Strip Size--1.5

So, the question is How many fabrics? I have the Eleanor Burns and she says 3 darks, 3 lights for any size TripAroundTheWorld quilt, but I want a smaller strip not a 2.5 as she recommends in her patterns. So, how many fabrics do YOU think I could use?
Thanks.

Tartan 09-26-2012 09:53 AM

I made a Trip around the World quilt way before there were any "rules". I went by how much of one fabric I had to make a complete path around the quilt. The fabrics I had the least of I started in the middle and alternated light and dark rows as I moved outward. It takes a LOT of squares as you get nearer the finish. Colouring in the little squares on graph paper will give you a good idea for how much fabric you'll need.

PenniF 09-26-2012 10:22 AM

Tartan is right - there really are no rules to this...Ok....to clarify....i guess there are some somewhere --- but truthfully - you could do it with 2 colors if you wanted to - or as many colors as you will have "trips" for the size quilt you want. I have one in 2" squares - all floral fabrics - that "fades" from dark to light to dark - all the "trips" are different fabrics. Do what is pleasing to you .... but i will say that a queen size of 1.5 inch squares will take A LOT of squares !!!! You might want to use the water color method of mounting your squares onto light weight fusible interfacing - then all you have to do is fold rows and sew straight lines. Good luck !!!

Lori S 09-26-2012 11:04 AM

I have done Trip around the world and repeated colors , sort of a Irish Chain type repeat. Use as many as you like or can coodinate. Its ok to have a repeat. I will admit to making one that only got as big as the fabrics I had on hand that I could coodinate, and had enough yardage .

Jingle 09-26-2012 11:07 AM

I remember seeing one done in scrappy colors. Sometime every row is a different color. Use what you want and it will be beautiful. I made a couple Triple Around The World quilts, they turned out very good. I put different colored borders on them.
There are no rules here, make it how you want.

OzarksGma 09-26-2012 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann (Post 5542671)
Dark Fabric--check.
Light Fabric--check.
Middle Square--check.
Size--Queen
Strip Size--1.5

So, the question is How many fabrics? I have the Eleanor Burns and she says 3 darks, 3 lights for any size TripAroundTheWorld quilt, but I want a smaller strip not a 2.5 as she recommends in her patterns. So, how many fabrics do YOU think I could use?
Thanks.

I made a TATW with all different prints predominently green with small accents of white, yellow and pink, I think I had about 15 different prints and I started with the lighter in the center and went out with the other prints to dark green at the border. I made it when I first started quilting about 10 years ago and I still don't have it quilted yet. That is one of t he ones I have to be done next year when I move to my new studio.

ube quilting 09-26-2012 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My old fashioned pattern calls for eight fabrics. Add borders to your liking!

Your strip size sounds very small and you will be doing a lot of piecing. your finished square will be 1" sq. That's postage stamp size so what you are making is a postage stamp quilt in an Around the world pattern.

Are you going to make a number of small TATW blocks and then sew them toghter for a full quilt. This patern will be really cool. I have seen it done this way.

This quilt uses 3 1/2" strips andthe finished square is 3".

Jennifer 09-26-2012 02:43 PM

The more colors the better. I love the light to dark variations of the trip around the would. 3.5 inch squares are a good size too. Not to big and not to small.

Jim 09-26-2012 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The number of colors you use are completely up to you...here's one I did for my daughter about 15 years ago