Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP!!! HURRY, HURRY NEED ADVICE (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-hurry-hurry-need-advice-t138175.html)

rexie 07-16-2011 06:43 PM

O.K, So yesterday I get a shower invitation for a girl that is the granddaughter in law of a very special friend. Her baby is not due till September, so I "thought" I had plenty of time. EEEK!! Today, my friend mentioned that she was doing her nursery in deer and camo. My dilema is I have 2 weeks to complete a quilt from scratch and have to hand quilt, since I don't have a quilting machine. I have 2 fabrics picked out..one is a Realtree camo and the other is deer. I thought of a nine patch. So would you put strips in between the patches of nine? Also would you alternate the squares in each 9 patch...say do one and start with the opposite fabric for the other? I think I can do this.

wolfkitty 07-16-2011 06:51 PM

Do you have only the 2 colors? if so, yes, alternate the blocks in the 9-patch. A matching green might make a nice sashing, if available. If you use that, I would make the patches all the same. Does that help any?

erstan947 07-16-2011 07:00 PM

I have seen pink and camo and is was so cute:)

sueisallaboutquilts 07-16-2011 07:11 PM

Make and hand quilt in 2 weeks?????? YIKES!

TonnieLoree 07-16-2011 07:18 PM

When you say quilting machine, are you referring to a long-arm? Couldn't you machine quilt it with your regular home machine? Better yet, how about tying the blocks?

Scissor Queen 07-16-2011 07:19 PM

You don't have to have a quilting machine to quilt a baby quilt. That size is very doable on a regular machine. You just need a walking foot.

susie-susie-susie 07-16-2011 07:27 PM

2 weeks to complete a quilt? That is doable, but you have to get busy NOW. I have been known to give the quilt top and then take it home to finish. The last one I did that with was promised before the baby came. I mailed it to her and her husband took it to the hospital when she was still in recovery. That was close!!!
Sue

rexie 07-16-2011 07:28 PM

I have a Realtree snow camo and a brown deer. I found some solid brown in the closet that I can use for sashing in between the 9 patches. I don't have a walking foot and besides I can hardly sew a straight line. I have been playing with the squares and I think I can get it done. It is a boy, so pink camo wouldn't work too good.

alikat110 07-16-2011 07:31 PM

Good advice above. Wishing you luck

Scissor Queen 07-16-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by rexie
I have a Realtree snow camo and a brown deer. I found some solid brown in the closet that I can use for sashing in between the 9 patches. I don't have a walking foot and besides I can hardly sew a straight line. I have been playing with the squares and I think I can get it done. It is a boy, so pink camo wouldn't work too good.

You better shut off the computer and get busy then!!!