Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I can't use a foot pedal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-cant-use-foot-pedal-t252456.html)

izzybelle 08-25-2014 07:15 AM

Help! I can't use a foot pedal

I really could use some ideas! I have MS. Through the years I have lost the ability to use my legs, so I'm in a wheelchair. I have a Sears Kenmore and a Juki TL 2000 which I love. I'm able to piece my blocks by setting the foot pedal on the counter by my machine and use my elbow as my "foot". Works fine, no problems. Until recently I could put the pedal on the ground and quilt my layers to my satisfaction, but now I can't even do that. Does anyone know if there is an inexpensive aid to help me? Or, if there is anyone out there able to quilt in a different way without the use of your feet?

Jeanette Frantz 08-25-2014 07:22 AM

Cathy,

I am not as knowledgeable about some of this stuff. I commend you for your efforts! I think it's teriffic that you continue to quilt. I also suggest that you submit your same query to the Vintage Machine Enthusiasts forum. There is a lot of untapped knowledge on all the forums, so I hope you get some help.

Jeanette

izzybelle 08-25-2014 07:29 AM

Thanks Jeanette!

pyffer3 08-25-2014 07:31 AM

I know you probably don't want to invest in a machine, but my brother cs6000i has an option that if you unplug the foot you can use a button to start/stop sewing. I have used it on a couple of occasions when I've had leg cramps.

Jo Belmont 08-25-2014 07:51 AM

I have seen machines that have a bar that extends just below the table and is activated by pressing it with your knee. If you are able, that could be a way to go. I'm not at all sure what machine had that available, but I wouldn't think it to be too much of a challenge to adapt the foot control in such a fashion, especially for a sewing machine repairman.

My Viking does have a button that I can set to automatically sew until I press stop, but it's just way too automatic for me and I always get into trouble when I try to use it. I haven't been motivated to use it that much to get better at handling it.

Try the knee control thing; it didn't take much pressure at all and appeared to offer all the control of a foot device.

Good luck and blessings on you for hanging in there. Keep the faith!

GrannieAnnie 08-25-2014 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by izzybelle (Post 6859218)
I really could use some ideas! I have MS. Through the years I have lost the ability to use my legs, so I'm in a wheelchair. I have a Sears Kenmore and a Juki TL 2000 which I love. I'm able to piece my blocks by setting the foot pedal on the counter by my machine and use my elbow as my "foot". Works fine, no problems. Until recently I could put the pedal on the ground and quilt my layers to my satisfaction, but now I can't even do that. Does anyone know if there is an inexpensive aid to help me? Or, if there is anyone out there able to quilt in a different way without the use of your feet?

My first electric sewing machine had a knee control. Don't know if you can still find them or not. And maybe you don't have enough leg movement to lean your knee a bit. But it doesn't take a lot of pressure. I'd think a person could figure out a way to mount the foot pedal on a table leg, if you can manage that.

Mouskalollie 08-25-2014 08:08 AM

I can relate to this :( They make after market knee controls -- http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/705W.php Maybe that would be of some help?

izzybelle 08-25-2014 08:43 AM

Sorry ladies, no knee control either. I tried putting the foot pedal under my armpit. With practice, I think this might be do-able, but would much prefer another solution. Keep the ideas coming, and I'll keep trying too!

calla 08-25-2014 08:51 AM

If you could afford a different machine, my Bernina has a knee lever, perhaps operate it with your hand? Try one out at the dealer, and my Vikings have stop/start push buttons. Keep sewing

Jo C 08-25-2014 09:41 AM

Have you contacted the MS Association? They have lots of ideas on how to adapt everything imaginable.