Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help I have several Quilting dellima's!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-have-several-quilting-dellimas-t48652.html)

xstatic 4 quilting 06-07-2010 12:33 AM

Thank you so very much for all of the helpful suggestions. I will post my picture of the quilt soon. The idea for this quilt came from a curtain that I bought for Kirsten (my boyfriends daughter). The curtain was to long for her window so I cut the bottom off and hemmed it. Then the idea hit me to use it to make a quilt to tie every thing together. This is only my second quilt and I don't mean to seem like I'm bragging but, I am pretty proud of it :). I know that it is no where near as good a job as so many of you other quilters would do. I am self taught, I guess that is what you would call it. When I was little, 6 or 7 at the earliest, to stay out of my mom, my aunt and my grandma's hair so they could visit they gave my cousins and I newspapers, needles and thread and told us to go sew the newspaper into anything we wanted. We sewed purses and wallets and all sorts of things. Then, my best friend and I sewed barbie clothes and we used cardboard as our patterns. Later, in the 8th grade, I took home economics. That was in 1980, I don't remember if I took it in the 7th or 9th grade or not. I know I did one other year though. I have watched some videos, recently, too. I wish that I knew where to find more. I would love to learn how to applique. Do any of you know where to find videos on appliqueing? I need to be shown, it is so much easier for me. Oh yeah, I don't remember who it was that said that they didn't know what I meant by gluing my sandwich together. I use spray glue to hold my quilt together until I can sew it. I don't have it with me now but if you want the name of it I can give it to you later. Just let me know. :thumbup: Thanks again I appreciate ya'll very much. Ya'll are the very best. I received so many answers. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

watterstide 06-07-2010 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I join my batting by using a big zig zag stitch. Butt two pieced of batting together and hold them together with the zig zag stitch. Than quilt as usual.

thats how i do mine also. i use a SID foot (stitch in the ditch) and butt (never overlapped) the batting on both sides of the black thingy. and use a zig zag. i admit to never having to add after a quilt is done..
i do it for baby quilts and small items. i hate to waste batting!

clem55 06-07-2010 03:54 AM

Sounds as if you are handleing your problems very well!!

CarrieAnne 06-07-2010 04:16 AM

Cant wait to see your picture, bet its really nice!

twistedstitcher 06-07-2010 05:08 AM

There's lots of videos at http://www.youtube.com. Just search applique or whatever technique you're interested in.

sahm4605 06-07-2010 05:16 AM

you could always just take the batting out and get the king size batting and cut it down. that is what I would do. but that is just me. less hassle. can't wait to see the quilt.

sandpat 06-07-2010 05:23 AM

Sounds like you have a plan now :D You should be proud of every quilt you do and don't start trying to compare...ALL quilts are beautiful!

Youtube is a great place to learn just about any technique..just search for it. Of course I'd have to recommend this board for learning anything you want. There are tutorials (with pics) under the Tutorial section and of course, tons of people here to answer any question you can dream up. Just dive in! :D

shaverg 06-07-2010 06:35 AM

Sorry, you felt that way on chat. Most of us only know each other because we get on chat. Please come back. It is fast. I even get lost sometimes. And I am on almost every day. You just have to jump in. Although if you are looking for a lot of info. This is probably the best place to post it. On chat we talk about everything. LOL

Come and chat anytime. It is so much fun.

roseOfsharon 06-07-2010 06:38 AM

Yes, a picture says it all. I am sure you will get it sorted out. There are many here that can help out.