Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!!! I just finished quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-just-finished-quilting-t9284.html)

Carol W 07-20-2008 11:09 AM

a top with batting. The pattern calls for quilting the top with the batting only and then add the bottom later.

I had a hard time moving my fabric. I tried with the feed dogs down and with the feed dogs up. The batting also left a slight sticky residue. I'm sure that was part of the problem in not being able to move the fabric easily when quilting.

Has anyone quilted this way before? Did you put a tear away stabilizer on the batting or did you use something else to make the piece move easier?

I'm also having a hard time getting the residue off from my machine.

I believe the batting is 80/20, but I'm not sure because it was out of the bag.

Thanks!!

azdesertrat 07-20-2008 11:13 AM

sorry never heard of doing it that way.try denatured alcohol to get the residue off your machine,use q-tips or something similiar

HMK 07-20-2008 11:15 AM

Never heard of doing it that way before. What was the pattern?

mgshaw 07-20-2008 11:57 AM

Same here, never heard of doing it that way. What is the reasoning for doing it like that?

Ellis' Granny B 07-20-2008 12:39 PM

Do not despair. I am not sure about the residue, but the sewing with just the top and batting is sometimes done to hide the stitching in multiple colors. If you use newsprint paper like they use in kindergarten, becasue of the large size, this will work well. You then just tear it away. Even some cheaper wrapping paper will do the trick and comes on large rolls at the Dollar Stores. Hope this works for you.

Ellis' Granny B

mpspeedy 07-20-2008 01:43 PM

Hi,

I have quilted items like that. There is a local designer in our area called Debra Gabel. She makes delightful wallhanging patterns under the name Zebra.

I don't do a lot of machine quilting but I like to use decorative stitches and lots of decorative thread. She recommends quilting her designs with just the batting and top. It does hide a lot of problems.
Your problem may have been because you had the batting up side down. Batting does have a right and wrong side. Half the time I can't tell the difference but there is one. If you examine it closely there is a scrim on one side. It kind of holds the fibers together. Using a paper stabilizer helps so does car waxing your machine table surface. That also makes the fabric move easily. The tigher woven and thinner the batting the better success you will have.

Good luck

Minda 07-20-2008 01:48 PM

How do you add the backing after you quilt the top and batting?

CissyQuilts 07-20-2008 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Minda
How do you add the backing after you quilt the top and batting?

I was going to ask the same question.

patricej 07-20-2008 02:10 PM

i use this method often. there are almost as many ways to add the backing to this as there are to any other top.

you can lay the quilted top onto the batting and tack or tie.

you can add more quilting to hold the two together.
you can also remove 1/4" to 1/2" of the batting around the edges, lay the backing face-down onto the top, stitch all the way around (leaving a gap for turning), then turn it righside out like you would a pillow, and whipstitch the gap closed.

then, either tack, tie, or add more quilting as if you'd done it the traditional way. i really love it when i can use this method because i don't need no stinkin' binding. :P

CissyQuilts 07-20-2008 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
you can also remove 1/4" to 1/2" of the batting around the edges, lay the backing face-down onto the top, stitch all the way around (leaving a gap for turning), then turn it righside out like you would a pillow, and whipstitch the gap closed. then, either tack, tie, or add more quilting as if you'd done it the traditional way. i really love it when i can use this method because i don't need no stinkin' binding. :P

This board is great! I learn something new everyday. There's obviously more than one way to make a quilt. 8) I'm going to have to try this technique. Thanks Patrice!