Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!!!! Making my first braid quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-making-my-first-braid-quilt-t198623.html)

teacherbailey 08-25-2012 11:04 AM

Help!!!! Making my first braid quilt

Not really working from a pattern; just like the way they look and found that 2 1/2" x 7" seemed to be like a good size. So here are my questions: First, what are the advantages or disadvantages to using fabric strips between lines of braid, or is it just a question of personal choice? Also, the BIG question, how in the world do you trim the long strips of braid neatly, evenly and with no stress????? Mine are about 6' long, since, well, I am about 6' long and making a quilt that my feet won't come out of during the night.

All help, advice, support and everything else is greatly appreciated!

Dotty

katier825 08-25-2012 03:31 PM

Using separator strips eliminates the need to match your braid seams. I happen to like the look of them. Although I have seen some that I liked without as well. Regardless of using them or not, it's a good idea to starch your fabric, then sew BEFORE trimming the points off. What I did for the long lines was to first draw them with chalk, then I lined up my separator strips. I creased both the braid panels and separator strips in 1/4s and pinned those. Then I pinned a lot between. It might help to use the walking foot and sew with the braid on the bottom. Once sewn, just take your time with a ruler and rotary cutter to cut the points off. Stretch out on a long table if you can, it's easier.

Good luck!

nativetexan 08-25-2012 03:35 PM

I went to a show with Eleanor Burns sister, Pat, and bought the braid pattern. it came with a small ruler to cut the braid pieces from jelly rolls. it's already cut at an angle. 60 degree I believe. It seems easy enough but you do have to watch that the fabric doesn't stretch. spray starch it and then baste stitch the edges before trimming them off. I've heard that helps. i haven't made one yet.

Dolphyngyrl 08-25-2012 05:05 PM

Depends on your ruler if you do half hexagons there is not much trimming

Latrinka 08-25-2012 05:33 PM

I did one, and I marked it first, then cut.

Gail B 08-25-2012 06:20 PM

I used my 6 1/2" x 24" ruler to cut the braids after starching & pressing the braids. Just laid the ruler in the middle of the braid & cut on both sides of the ruler. Worked great for me.

par4theday 08-25-2012 06:44 PM

I would use my 6 1/2" X 24" ruler. I would find the center of the braid and line it up from the top to bottom of ruler half the width that you want it, and trim, and then turn the braid over and find the middle point again and trim the other side the same way. My pattern does not have sashing strips, but I would guess they will nest together and with the use of a stylus, ease them together, so each seam meets evenly.

irishrose 08-25-2012 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gail B (Post 5467938)
I used my 6 1/2" x 24" ruler to cut the braids after starching & pressing the braids. Just laid the ruler in the middle of the braid & cut on both sides of the ruler. Worked great for me.

Same here, but my strips weren't as long as yours - I think 5 1/2" by 2 1/2".

I prefer to do it this way rather than work with bias ended strips. By sewing and cutting, they are only bias for a few minutes. A little waste, but worth it, IMO.

I think having a non bias strip between the braids helps stabilize the quilt and I really like the look of the contrast.

teacherbailey 08-26-2012 03:19 AM

Thank you all for your advice!!!! I need to get some starch, it looks like. Next time, I may completely cut the pieces first so I don't have to trim all those edges at the end.....but since all my scraps go to the art teacher at my school, I knew they'd have a good home! :)

teacherbailey 08-26-2012 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5467780)
Depends on your ruler if you do half hexagons there is not much trimming

Never heard of this way of making a braid; something to look up! Thanks!