Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP!!!!!!!! Marking Removal on Quilt Issue!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-marking-removal-quilt-issue-t113821.html)

Quilting Aggi 04-05-2011 04:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone!!! I'm in desperate help for suggestions or advice.

My Mum recently made this GORGEOUS black/white/Red Log Cabin. She decided she wanted to hand quilt it in the white area. She started a marking a beautiful feather stitch design only to realize 3/4 of the way down the first long line that it was going off center. She wasn't happy with the results and so we decided to put the quilt top into a zippered laundry bag and machine wash it on a gentle cycle.

Well when we took it out of the machine, the zipper of the bag came undone and the quilt fell out of the bag. Luckily after much cutting of ravels on the back of the quilt and a good pressing job the quilt survived!!!! Unfortunately not all the markings came out. At the moment she is gritting her teeth and painstakingly using a sponge and some "Quilt Care" and water solution and lightly scrubbing it out. She is getting a bit disgruntled thinking it might not work.

Is there ANYONE out there who can give us some good ideas to help remove the remaining markings so she can remark it again?

The marking pencil she is using is a Fons and Porter Watersoluble All surface Pencil "black". We appreciate all help and suggestions!!!!

I am enclosing some photos of the issue.

Quiltingly Yours
Quilting Aggi/Andrea

Quilt with half washed markings
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180167[/ATTACH]

Quilt Care/Water solution
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180168[/ATTACH]

Fons and Porter Marking Pencil Used
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180169[/ATTACH]

stpatmom 04-05-2011 04:41 PM

While I have no experience in trying to remove the pencil, if it is water solulable, try using a spray bottle filled with just water. Sorry, I hope you find something that works.

Quiltforme 04-05-2011 04:45 PM

Contact the company maybe they might have some answers so sorry!

Tink's Mom 04-05-2011 04:49 PM

Would dipping the affected areas in say the bathroom sink work better? Wish I could help.

dpparris 04-05-2011 04:54 PM

Wal-Mart and The Dollar Tree sell some stuff called AWESOME and it gets ink out, so it might work.

crafty_linda_b 04-05-2011 04:58 PM

I would contact Fon's & Porter. They may not be aware that the company that makes this product with their name on isn't putting out a usable product!! Linda B.

Here is an email address for them
[email protected]

medots 04-05-2011 07:18 PM

if the fabric is all cotton try peroxide

ThreadHead 04-05-2011 07:26 PM

Try using an eraser, not the red ones, or colored ones, but the square ones that look like clear rubber. I've used rubber bands to erase the kids mistakes on their homework.
Good Luck
Syl

Janquiltz 04-05-2011 07:32 PM

Several "recipes" for marking pencil removal through Google.
1/4 cup water, 3/4 cup rubbing alcohol and 7-8 drops Palmolive liquid detergent. OR: 3 oz rubbing alcohol, 2 tablespoons water, 3 drops ivory dish soap and apply with soft toothbrush - no need to rinse-dries quickly. Other suggestions included clear windex or 409 spray - gently rub and rinse. I have not tried any of these and none of them addresses a situation where you have already tried to get the marks out by machine washing it with little success. Do like the suggestions that you contact Fons and Porter. Surely they will have some suggestions. Let us know what works.

Tartan 04-05-2011 08:50 PM

I feel your pain! Can she be happy with adding additional feathers to disguise the off-center design? The only other thing I can think of is continuing on with the product you are using and hope for the best. When you mentioned ironing the quilt, perhaps the heat has set the marking lines?