Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help me buy a sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-buy-sewing-machine-t86505.html)

jkwynn 12-31-2010 12:27 PM

Ok - these are the facts:

- I already have a sewing machine that is in perfectly fine, working order and I know how to use it now, mostly, lol. It's a featherweight.

- I only have about 200 dollars to spend on a new one. Had a little surprise in my mailbox today, woot!

- The only reason I even want a new one is to learn machine quilting (since I've been told it's not suggested that you do that with a FW, and I don't have the feet for it anyway), *plus* I'd like to have extra stitch options, like decorative ones, or side to side ones (clearly, I'm still learning the lingo, too.) I am interested in sewing other things like aprons, bags, wallets, towels, etc. Not looking to be a fashion designer, but you know, gift-y type stuff.

- I'm learning to sew, so nothing too complicated, but it'd be a bonus if it came with extra feet like zipper foot, the free motion quilting foot, walking foot (?), etc. In other words, I'd like to get a little bang for my buck, hehe.

Know anything that might fit that bill? Did I leave any important info out?

carolaug 12-31-2010 12:32 PM

Many like Brothers and you should be able to get a good one for that price. I would not get one with the embroidery, I made that mistake...and returned it,

tjradj 12-31-2010 12:36 PM

Several department stores carry entry level machines with a few decorative stitches for around $150 to $200.

dellareya 12-31-2010 12:38 PM

My "back-up" sewing machine is a Brother CE5000 Project Runway model. It came from Walmart and was very reasonable in price. (under $120). It has lots of decorative stitches. I enjoyed using it while I was waiting to get enough money for the BabyLock I wanted.

jkwynn 12-31-2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Many like Brothers and you should be able to get a good one for that price. I would not get one with the embroidery, I made that mistake...and returned it,

Yeah, that embroidery stuff looks neat, but I don't want to get too much on a machine. It's just more stuff I could break. I'm talented like that, lol.

SherriB 12-31-2010 12:39 PM

Check out Kenmore machines. They have nice machines in that price range. And I think they are made by Janome.

jkwynn 12-31-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by dellareya
My "back-up" sewing machine is a Brother CE5000 Project Runway model. It came from Walmart and was very reasonable in price. (under $120). It has lots of decorative stitches. I enjoyed using it while I was waiting to get enough money for the BabyLock I wanted.

Thanks! So what you're saying is, there will be money left over for some new fabric? I like the way you think! :)

Candace 12-31-2010 12:43 PM

You should check out your local Craigs List for a Singer 301, 401 etc. Those are great machines and won't cost a fortune. And are so much better built than the cheap, plastic ones you'd otherwise be looking at.

jkwynn 12-31-2010 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
Check out Kenmore machines. They have nice machines in that price range. And I think they are made by Janome.

Good to know. Is that the Sears brand? I think I actually have a Sears gift card around here somewhere, too.

Candace 12-31-2010 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jkwynn

Originally Posted by SherriB

Good to know. Is that the Sears brand? I think I actually have a Sears gift card around here somewhere, too.

Kenmore is carried and sold by Sears. It is not made by Janome, but is made by Janome specifications.