Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help me decide how to... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-decide-how-t207636.html)

nygal 12-04-2012 06:39 AM

Help me decide how to...

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]380033[/ATTACH]I am ready to quilt this but I am at a loss as to how to do it. I have a pretty batik fabric for the back and I can do the "safe" stitch in the ditch. but I really love this and want to do right by it. I have some multi colored thread that am considering on using too. I just am a blank when I see it and cannot picture how to quilt it. I don't mind hand quilting.

Help!! I am open to suggestions. Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Toni C 12-04-2012 07:05 AM

OK lay it out on the table.Get one of those plastic paper protectors and a dry eraser pen (I usually cut the plastic open then lay flat for size) doodle what you want on plastic laying on quilt. (put a small blue painter tape border around plastic so you don't slip and mark quilt), erasing what you don't like until you get a design you want. That way you can see clearly your block and what it's going to look like with very little trouble.When your done and have something you like you can trace on tissue paper or transfer any way you prefer.If you use tissue paper use either markers that wash out or maybe the new frixion pens 've been hearing about on the tissue. That way if you stay on the lines and it gets stitched in and smears slightly when you are plucking it out you are safe

nygal 12-04-2012 07:18 AM

I think the problem is I just have no idea what kind of "pattern" I should use. Maybe I'd need a few different designs on specific blocks to enhance them?
What do you think of using multi colored thread that coordinates with the colors in the fabrics? I wonder if they were draw attention away from the blocks? Decisions...decisions...:eek:

feline fanatic 12-04-2012 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I look at this wallhanging the absolute STAR is the peicing. So I really think you should so some SID to really make certain elements pop and to stabalize the quilt for some fun FMQ. I think some preliminary SID just makes your finished product look better and helps to emphasize all the obvious hard work you put in the piecing.

If this top came to me for quilting I would definitely SID around the FG in the border and the NYBeauty star points and quarter circle centers. I would also SID around the baskets and just the portion of the pineapple blocks that makes that zigzag element between the brights and the lighter value background. Your squares in a square blocks in the center you could pick one of the many triangle elements in each of them and do a feather spray, kind of like what I did on this quilt in the background of the star triangles here (sorry it is a bit blurry but I think you will get the idea)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]380038[/ATTACH]

Once a fill like that is positioned in those blocks you could do a complimentary design in another portion. For example, I would do the feather spray in the background of those blocks, where two different colors meet to form the triangle. The on point portion of the block I would leave unquilted then do a little floral motif in the center square.
I would do a dense background fill behind those NYB blocks. Pebbling would look awesome or radiating lines coming out from behind the star that could be straight or squiggly. I think if it were mine I would opt for pebbling and carry that up into the background of the baskets as well.

I would not SID the kaliedescope blocks but do a circular motif to fill in the area. Maybe duplicate the floral used in the Squares in squares.

Enough ideas for you?

nygal 12-04-2012 09:48 AM

Thank you SO much. That is the kind of advice I am looking for!! Now what do you think of me using the multi color thread for the SID etc??

QuiltnNan 12-04-2012 09:51 AM

it's beautiful. no suggestions tho.

feline fanatic 12-04-2012 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5698175)
Thank you SO much. That is the kind of advice I am looking for!! Now what do you think of me using the multi color thread for the SID etc??

I would opt for a light colored neutral for your SID and background quilting. I would go for a lightweight thread that will sink in and become invisible for the SID. You really only want to SID to get your beautiful points and piecing to pop. Note the pic I posted above I SID around all the star points and you can see how it really helps define the piecing (doubled batting doesn't hurt in that respect either! gives awesome "poof" factor).

For background fill behind the NYB blocks, I envision some pretty dense quilting so again, I would go with a neutral that matches your background color there as well. I think on a quilt like this you want thread that blends in. Remember your piecing is the star. You don't want your thread or your quilting to be jumping out saying look at me, look at me! Even if it is the best quilting you ever did. You want to compliment what you have done not overpower it. So I would stick with neutral light colored thread and a lighter weight (like a 50 or 60 wt) that blends in with your background fabrics and doesn't detract from your beautiful batiks.

DOTTYMO 12-04-2012 11:05 AM

The quilt is beautiful
FelineFanatic. Any chance of a tute on how to plan free motion quilting same as you have just done but a bit more. I have just leant more reading your bit than any book utube or class.

nygal 12-04-2012 11:45 AM

Thanks again feline fanatic. I agree with you. I will begin quilting it this evening!!

Thank you everyone for the nice compliments.

Sapphire_Rae 12-04-2012 11:50 AM

I really like your quilt! Love the vibrant colors and design. I really enjoyed hearing the advise from feline fanatic. Always looking for quilting advice like that. Show us when you get it quilted!!