Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help me pick a serger (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-pick-serger-t118452.html)

clair 04-24-2011 08:00 AM

After all these years of sewing 50+ I've always kinda of wanted an serger. Now I want to make a make a quilt that really needs a over lock stitch. I'am thinking of a babylock because of what i've read . how easy they are to thread and use. How about it gals , is it a babylock or should I be thinking of another brand.? Thanks in advance.

JulieR 04-24-2011 08:09 AM

I'm interested in this, too!

DeniseP 04-24-2011 08:09 AM

I have had a White, Viking and an industrial Singer. I loved the White until it died. Don't know if you could find one now, not sure if they still make them. The Viking was and still is a nightmare. I hate it. The only thing it will sew is plain thin cotton.I'm hoping to trade it in when I get a new one. My industrial is wonderful, that thing will sew leather, but not everyone has room for a machine that big. It really wasn't that much more expensive to buy, either. I paid $1500 for it ten years ago and worth every penny. I do want another home serger and when I get one it will be a Babylock. I have heard nothing but good things about them. They were the first home sergers, hence the name Babylock. Easier to service and they are the most liked sergers from the people I know who have sergers. I've been using them for about 15 years. I hope this helps you! Happy Easter!!

DeniseP 04-24-2011 08:12 AM

PS: I've been sewing for 35 years.

MZStitch 04-24-2011 08:17 AM

Love my Babyloc! I bought a used one at a sewing machine store, got a great deal and have been happy with it from day one. The biggest advantage to Babyloc is thier patented theading system. It is super easy to thread. I have never threaded another, but a close friend encouraged me to buy a babyloc because sergers in general can be difficult to thread. She had a singer, and what she would do is tie a knot in her old thread and new thread and pull it through.
I don't use it often, mainly for making drapes, and mostly home dec items which is why I chose to look for one used. The benefit of buying from a sewing machine dealer is they will normally give you a one year warranty, something to consider.

the casual quilter 04-24-2011 08:18 AM

I it's ease of threading that interests you, Babykock is the way to go. They are great machines and stitch wonderfully.
But, regardless of the brand, your dealer will help you learn the threading mechanism. And once it's threaded, the threads on the other brands can be tied off and fed through the machine easily. You only get into trouble if you break a thread and have to thread them manually. My suggestion is to visit a few dealers of different brands and make you decision on the features that meet your needs. Just my humble opinion!!!!!

Melinda in Tulsa 04-24-2011 08:41 AM

Babylock all the way!!!!

Candace 04-24-2011 08:48 AM

I have a Janome Compulock (older) and love it, but it can be a pain to thread. Especially if it sits for a year or so and I need to use it and have to relearn it again! I've heard very good things about the Babylock air threading system.

Dolphyngyrl 04-24-2011 08:48 AM

My choice would be babylock, i have heard nothing but good things, super easy to thread, easy to use, good tension, don't have a serger, but love my babylock, will probably never get another brand but babylocks and brothers

JanetM 04-24-2011 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by clair
After all these years of sewing 50+ I've always kinda of wanted an serger. Now I want to make a make a quilt that really needs a over lock stitch. I'am thinking of a babylock because of what i've read . how easy they are to thread and use. How about it gals , is it a babylock or should I be thinking of another brand.? Thanks in advance.

Babylock is the only way to go in my opinion. I have the Evolve and the jet-air threading is a must have and the auto tension is great. I have friends that have other brands and they really complain about threading and tension issues.