Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Mouse tore all batting from one side of pinned quilt sandwich! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-mouse-tore-all-batting-one-side-pinned-quilt-sandwich-t181861.html)

patchsamkim 03-10-2012 08:30 AM

Mice in the house.....eewwwww...I would be getting a cat or two! Females make the best micers. I have a mice problem on our back porch....but at least they haven't made it into the house. In the fall caught over 30 mice...when my son was home over Christmas had him do some extra door stripping...since have only caught 3 that still somehow gotten in. My traps are set in case spring mice decide it is time to check out the porch, but am hoping that they can't get in anymore...as I added a bit more stripping under a door where there was a small space. You need to find out where they are getting in and stop their entrances. I can be ok with them on back porch, but sure wouldn't want the mice in my house!

KiwiQuilter 03-10-2012 12:19 PM

I never use to be as passionate about mouse removal until I had a very similar experience to IshtarsMom. The little suckers ate through my electrical wiring, brake line, and air hoses in the car!!! Lucky I didn't loose my life. Very expensive to repair.

I have traps strategically placed in the roof cavity (of the house) and in the garage. Yes - I have caught mice in the roof. If they chew the house wiring - they could burn down the house.

My traps are filled with peanut butter - just like you have done. It's very effective. Love the idea of luring them to the traps with pieces of batting. hehehe...

Honest - I'm not a nasty person - but when their actions can kill - it's a whole different game. My mouse problem was created by my neighbor (long story) and a very bad harvesting season for our region.

Currently have 2 large dogs - which are great at finding and killing rodents (well when they can get to them).

Good luck. Love to see the progress on your quilt repair.

Momma_K 03-11-2012 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5038006)
Lay your sandwich out on a table; fold both the top and the backing back away from the damaged batting.
Trim away the damaged batting in a long strip.
Cut a new batting strip the width needed.
Butt the edges of the old batting and the new strip and use batting tape or a serpentine or zigzag machine stitch to join them (my preference).
Reassemble the sandwich and keep on keeping on!

But, I must say, it seems to me you have more problems than a torn batting if a mouse in your house has done such damage in one day. I hope you catch it....and all it's buddies.....quickly. Rodent droppings can be very hazardous to your health.

Jan in VA

This is exactly what I was thinking you could do with the batting...like Jan I'd do the Zigzag stitch if possible. But about your little mousies, I had to go to Home Depot and bought the white plastic traps, super simple and easier to use than the wooden traps. Use a tad of peanut butter and with two fingers your trap is set! My mouse problem is very few and far between now. Good Luck!!

SueSew 03-15-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter (Post 5047786)
I never use to be as passionate about mouse removal until I had a very similar experience to IshtarsMom. The little suckers ate through my electrical wiring, brake line, and air hoses in the car!!! Lucky I didn't loose my life. Very expensive to repair.

I have traps strategically placed in the roof cavity (of the house) and in the garage. Yes - I have caught mice in the roof. If they chew the house wiring - they could burn down the house.

My traps are filled with peanut butter - just like you have done. It's very effective. Love the idea of luring them to the traps with pieces of batting. hehehe...

Honest - I'm not a nasty person - but when their actions can kill - it's a whole different game. My mouse problem was created by my neighbor (long story) and a very bad harvesting season for our region.

Currently have 2 large dogs - which are great at finding and killing rodents (well when they can get to them).

Good luck. Love to see the progress on your quilt repair.

My husband's Chevy truck got a mouse nest and they chewed through a lotta wires, twice, and it cost hundreds each time. Chevy cares not... but none of our other cars/trucks have every been vulnerable to a mouse. It has to do with the protection/access around the electrical connectors. Mice never got into Ford truck, Isuzu box truck, Acura, Toyota, Subaru, Mercury, Honda, Land Rover, Chrysler minivan...just that particular Chevy truck. With four drivers in the house, plus work trucks, that is a lot of experience. Bu brake lines... OMG. Lucky you alive to post!!!