Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! My Favorite Ruler Broke (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-my-favorite-ruler-broke-t166825.html)

amazon 11-07-2011 08:46 AM

Help! My Favorite Ruler Broke

1 Attachment(s)
My Olipfa 18" x 3" had a small crack and it just bit the dust .Sniff , sniff I am lost without it:thumbdown: Anyone know where I can find one reasonably priced with decent shipping? I came across several places but the shipping is extreme.Would like to find it for under $20 including shipping. Thanks

Tartan 11-07-2011 10:03 AM

Well it looks like it's a clean break. I leaned against my 15X15 square ruler and it broke in half. Before I pitched it someone on Qb suggested fixing it.
1.I put it on a flat table.
2.I ran a piece of clear tape on the bottom of the ruler on one side. (half for each side)
3.I perfectly matched the ruler up and stuck the other side down to the first section.
4.I made sure the edges were all lined up correctly. (on the tape)
5.I carfully took the ruler to the table edge and opened the crack using the tape as a hinge and ran a line of super glue into the crack.
6.I immediately put the whole ruler back flat on the table to dry being careful not the touch the drying glue.
7.After drying it still works and this was several months ago.
Might be worth a try?

fluffygirl 11-07-2011 10:41 AM

It couldn't hurt to try gluing it like Tartan said. I actually wore the numbers off a 4" ruler I had because I used it so much.:eek:

Pat

Jim's Gem 11-07-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 4647365)
Well it looks like it's a clean break. I leaned against my 15X15 square ruler and it broke in half. Before I pitched it someone on Qb suggested fixing it.
1.I put it on a flat table.
2.I ran a piece of clear tape on the bottom of the ruler on one side. (half for each side)
3.I perfectly matched the ruler up and stuck the other side down to the first section.
4.I made sure the edges were all lined up correctly. (on the tape)
5.I carfully took the ruler to the table edge and opened the crack using the tape as a hinge and ran a line of super glue into the crack.
6.I immediately put the whole ruler back flat on the table to dry being careful not the touch the drying glue.
7.After drying it still works and this was several months ago.
Might be worth a try?

This is what I would try, you have nothing to lose. If it works then great if not then you can try and find another!

Keep Them In Stitches 11-07-2011 11:35 AM

After trying the above, Joanns may have what you need. Use a coupon. Tax is cheaper than shipping.

MistyMarie 11-07-2011 11:45 AM

I recently found a couple at JoAnns in the clearance section. I bought them both. I think I paid $3.50 for each!

emmah 11-07-2011 12:19 PM

I blued my years ago and it is still going strong. I used a glue meant for plastic..less than $2 for the tube. Saved me lots of money!

Originally Posted by fluffygirl (Post 4647549)
It couldn't hurt to try gluing it like Tartan said. I actually wore the numbers off a 4" ruler I had because I used it so much.:eek:

Pat

JUNEC 11-07-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem (Post 4647560)
This is what I would try, you have nothing to lose. If it works then great if not then you can try and find another!

What a fabulous tip - If it doesn't work - I would try Joann w/one of her coupons