Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help needed with construction of Celtic bars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-needed-construction-celtic-bars-t148047.html)

dunster 08-26-2011 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I want to applique parallel straight lines, with a few right angles, onto a quilt top. I think this might fall under the title of Celtic applique, and I've been looking online for help, but all of the references I've found deal with curved lines. I'm looking for hints on how to keep my lines straight and parallel. My lines will be 1/4" wide and about 1" apart. I plan to cut the fabric with the grain. So far I have no problems constructing the bars, but I'd like to improve the accuracy in placing them on the quilt top. I can either pin them down or glue them or baste them with water soluble thread - any recommendations? I'd be grateful for any help you can give me. The picture shows part of what I'm trying to do.

MTS 08-26-2011 09:37 AM

I'd go with glue or basting (or both), but that's because I can't seem to not jab myself on the pins.

ooc, how are you going to tackle the right angle? Fold, cut or sew?

Sounds like a neat project.

ann31039 08-26-2011 09:38 AM

try using masking tape or painters tape to lay out your straight lines. then you would have something substantial to help you keep your bias straight. then your "marks" peel off easily.

dunster 08-26-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
I'd go with glue or basting (or both), but that's because I can't seem to not jab myself on the pins.

ooc, how are you going to tackle the right angle? Fold, cut or sew?

Sounds like a neat project.

I found that I can make a nice miter by putting the 1/4" strip in the sewing machine and sewing on a 45 degree angle, then pressing. It's a little difficult to get the turn in exactly the right place, but I think with a little more practice it will be okay.

dunster 08-26-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ann31039
try using masking tape or painters tape to lay out your straight lines. then you would have something substantial to help you keep your bias straight. then your "marks" peel off easily.

Great idea! I was using pencil marks, but the tape should be much better, faster, and easier.

butterflywing 08-26-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
I'd go with glue or basting .

because the pins will skew the bars out of shape

mom-6 08-26-2011 02:52 PM

I've been wondering if it would be easier to do this style of Celtic design as a pieced project instead of an applique project? Anyone tried it that way?

dunster 08-26-2011 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I've been wondering if it would be easier to do this style of Celtic design as a pieced project instead of an applique project? Anyone tried it that way?

I thought of that, but for this project I would have too many extraneous seams. I want the background to be as seam-free as possible. You could certainly piece the block as I've laid it out, and if the background were busy then the extra seams wouldn't matter.

mom-6 08-26-2011 04:15 PM

Thanks, Dunster, the one I'm considering is more involved than yours, but I don't really do applique (have tried it and not been at all happy with the results or my frustration level) so was hoping I could do it as pieced. Now to find the fabrics I want to use for it...

dunster 08-26-2011 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mom-6
Thanks, Dunster, the one I'm considering is more involved than yours, but I don't really do applique (have tried it and not been at all happy with the results or my frustration level) so was hoping I could do it as pieced. Now to find the fabrics I want to use for it...

Here is a picture I took of a very complicated Celtic-type design at Sisters one year. I think this one was pieced, but I don't have a close-up that proves it one way or the other. Whatever, it's a gorgeous quilt!

Edited just to make it clear - I didn't make this quilt. I wish I could claim it, but I can't.