Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help needed to downsize pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-needed-downsize-pattern-t156949.html)

tanderbear 09-30-2011 05:31 AM

I am making some table toppers for Christmas Gifts. The final (Hexagon) size is 24 x 24 from flat side to flat size. I need to decrease the size to about 18 by 18. I decreased each piece by 1/2 inch (on the width and the length) however, when I piece it, it does not match up (I have triple checked my cutting sizes for exactness and accuracy of 1/4" seam. I need help. The pattern is called, "Table Grace" in a book from This & That called Northern Botanical. Sorry no camera to take pictures at present.

Any suggestions appreciated.

PaperPrincess 09-30-2011 05:50 AM

The way you change a pattern is subtract a half Inch from the size of the piece, to remove the seam allowance, adjust the size of the piece, then add the half inch seam allowance back on. Is this how you resized?

qbquilts 09-30-2011 05:56 AM

Since you want the finished size to be 3/4 or 75% of the original size (18/24 = 3/4 or 75%), you need to resize each piece to be 75% of the original size. Like a PP said, subtract the seam allowance first, resize each dimension of the piece, and then add back the seam allowance.

For example: To take a 12" 9-patch block to a 9" 9-patch block. 9"/12" = 3/4 or 75%. Originally, you cut 9 squares 4 1/2" to make the 12" block.

4 1/2" - 1/2" (seam allowance) = 4" (original finished size)
.75 * 4" = 3" (new finished size)
3" + 1/2" (seam allowance) = 3 1/2" (new cut size).

This formula works whether shrinking or enlarging a pattern piece. Just make sure to do each dimension by the same percentage.

Sewfine 09-30-2011 06:47 AM

Thanks for this helpful tip.

dglvr 09-30-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
Since you want the finished size to be 3/4 or 75% of the original size (18/24 = 3/4 or 75%), you need to resize each piece to be 75% of the original size. Like a PP said, subtract the seam allowance first, resize each dimension of the piece, and then add back the seam allowance.

For example: To take a 12" 9-patch block to a 9" 9-patch block. 9"/12" = 3/4 or 75%. Originally, you cut 9 squares 4 1/2" to make the 12" block.

4 1/2" - 1/2" (seam allowance) = 4" (original finished size)
.75 * 4" = 3" (new finished size)
3" + 1/2" (seam allowance) = 3 1/2" (new cut size).

This formula works whether shrinking or enlarging a pattern piece. Just make sure to do each dimension by the same percentage.

This is good to know. Thanks for taking the time to share this. :thumbup:

oldpiglady 09-30-2011 08:15 AM

great tip, thanks.

tanderbear 09-30-2011 03:02 PM

Thanks for the information. i think I calculated correctly. It called for a 2.5 x 8.5 rectangle, so I cut it down to be a 2 8....If that is correct, then I must have done something wrong in calculating measurements (my math) or somewhere my measurements are off.

The information you provided was very helpful...thanks to everyone. If I get it figured out I will get a picture posted.

Blessings Everyone

PaperPrincess 09-30-2011 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by tanderbear
Thanks for the information. i think I calculated correctly. It called for a 2.5 x 8.5 rectangle, so I cut it down to be a 2 8....If that is correct, then I must have done something wrong in calculating measurements (my math) or somewhere my measurements are off.

The information you provided was very helpful...thanks to everyone. If I get it figured out I will get a picture posted.

Blessings Everyone

I don't know what size you were aiming for, but cutting the rectangle down the way you indicated did not keep the original proportions.
If you want the small side to go from 2 to 1.5 (finished) then the Long side should go from 8 to 6. The new rectangle should be cut at 2 X 6.5 inches, not 2 X 8.