Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help needed please in pattern choice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-needed-please-pattern-choice-t3202.html)

joy 11-17-2007 10:20 PM

I have bought, for my 15 year old granddaughter, 10 beautiful materials for a quilt for her, in colours black, tan, cream, brown in varying shadings... with gold layering....I need some ideas for a pattern, if somebody could suggest anything I would appreciate your input... to give you an idea of what I am able to do, so far I have made 8 quilts, the patterns are, railfence, bargello, shooting star, 9 patch with squares with the corners another colour, just can't think of the name at the moment, a baby quilt with squares and quarter triangles, and three quilts with blocks.... just easy stuff.... because the materials could be used in a japanese style quilt I will go into google and see what I can find for japanese quilts.... but in the meantime if anybody has any ideas please...... I saw a lap quilt similar to a rail fence but there was no zig zag going up the quilt as all of the pieces were different but the style was the same... and it was shaded, starting from black in one corner, then grey, then tan, brown, cream, blue... going from right hand corner down the quilt to the left hand corner.... and four circles in different parts of the quilt, they were appliqued on... colour of those was black.... that is all I have come up with at the moment... hoping someone has suggestions for me, thank you very much. My granddaughter deserves something nice like this as she has multiple sclerosis - was diagnosed when she was 14..

Connie Hadba 11-17-2007 10:38 PM

Hi Joy,
Using those colors, I'm sure your granddaughter will love anything you make, but I understand that you want to make something very special.

Try this site on the internet http://www.quilterscache.com
This takes, developed by Marcia Hohn you to a great site filled with hundreds of block patterns that I am sure you will enjoy.

Scroll down the page to the question "Where do you want to go today?" Click on the arrow and choose "Quilting Blocks Galore" from the list of choices. Then explore all the different blocks Marcia has provided. Be prepared to spend a lot of time; she has lots of blocks to look at. She also tells you which ones are easy and which more difficult. I am sure you will find something you like at your skill level.

If this is not a surprise for her, get your granddaughter to look at the blocks with you and let her choose a pattern that she likes.

As I said, because you made it for her, she will love it no matter what you choose. Good luck and happy quilting.

Connie

joy 11-18-2007 12:26 AM

Thank you Connie for your great information... I will do that in the morning.. just on my way to bed.... unfortunately my granddaughter lives in Australia and I am in New Zealand so it really will be a surprise... yes, the colours are lovely and I keep looking at them... just bought them two days ago and will be pleased when they are all cut out and ready to go... I have itchy fingers !!!

Thanks so much for your time....

vicki reno 11-20-2007 12:25 PM

Are you interested in applique pr just peicing? My favorite is applique, but not everyone enjoys it. The fn pattern would be lovely with those fabrics--it would look lovely with the slightly orientals you have described. Please let us know what your choice will be. We'd all love to see t.

bj 11-20-2007 02:03 PM

One of the first quilts I made I had a variety of colors and I decided to do a sampler. It was a baby quilt, so I made a 3 x 3 quilt and each of the 9 blocks was a different design. Then I put a sashing between them that drew all of the fabrics together. It really turned out nicely. It's still one of my favorites. I'd post a pic, but it was pre digital camera days.

DebJ 11-20-2007 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by bj
One of the first quilts I made I had a variety of colors and I decided to do a sampler. It was a baby quilt, so I made a 3 x 3 quilt and each of the 9 blocks was a different design. Then I put a sashing between them that drew all of the fabrics together. It really turned out nicely. It's still one of my favorites. I'd post a pic, but it was pre digital camera days.

Well, scan it in and post it we want to see it! :lol:

bj 11-20-2007 08:23 PM

Well, scan it in and post it we want to see it! :lol: [/quote]

Sorry, I don't have a scanner. The quilt was for my little nephew. The next time I'm at his house I'll ask his mom to let me take a digital pic of it. I think she still has the quilt.

quiltmaker101 11-23-2007 12:35 PM

I used the same colors to make a lap quilt for my dad. It is a log cabin variation.

It is posted in Pictures on this page: http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/3154.page

Maybe this will give you some inspiration, maybe not.

joy 11-23-2007 01:52 PM

Thank you all for replying, you have been most helpful... I rather like the quilt photo on DebJ's avatar, so may make that... I have 12 different coloured materials now... been shopping again !!!

BarbaraL 01-02-2008 08:37 AM

Have you ever pieced Trip Around The World? You need 10 fabrics, so you got the hardest part out of the way!