Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help needed please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-needed-please-t27939.html)

joy 10-30-2009 04:00 PM

I am making saucepan holders and have pinned the material so that it does not pucker when I sew but it does anyway....so tried sewing without the safety pins... still the same... I have sewn one way and then the opposite way... still no joy... no use sewing curvey lines as the same thing would happen... there must be an answer as the bought pot holders are not like that... !!! This is the quilting on them I am talking about. I will never be a quilter at this rate... thank goodness I am am not.

pocoellie 10-30-2009 04:03 PM

It sounds like you're not using a walking foot, if you change to that, you should see the end of those problems.

Maride 10-30-2009 04:56 PM

If you start from the center and work your way out you will notice a lot less puckering. Small items are the way to start and get practice. Don't get discourage. Pratctice, practice, practice.

Maria

joy 10-30-2009 05:06 PM

Yes, I am using the walking foot, and yes, I have tried working from the centre outwards and it worked, sort of, but much better... but the bought ones are not worked from the centre out... I even stuck it down on the table with sticky tape and then pinned it like a quilt... but didn't make the slightest bit of difference... but thanks so much for your replies, I really do appreciated it as I am nearly up the wall... so I am going to stick with just stitching from one corner to the opposite corner and then the other corner to corner as well..and that will have to do... not perfect though. Am about to square it all up and sew on the binding... sounds as if I am making a quilt !!!!!!!!!!!!

Prism99 10-30-2009 06:02 PM

What are you using for batting? And what is your stitch length?

My guess is that you are using high-loft polyester batting. This is more likely to pucker when machine quilting, especially if you are using your regular stitch length. You need to lengthen your stitch length for high-loft batting. However, if you are using polyester batting, you also have a different problem in that (in my opinion, anyway) you should be using cotton batting. Cotton will provide better protection for the hands, plus it won't melt when it gets hot the way polyester will.

If you are using cotton batting and your stitch length is correct for quilting (usually a little longer than for regular piecing or sewing), then I have different suggestions to make so you can machine quilt pucker-free.

gangles 10-30-2009 06:23 PM

Have you tried using a glue stick just in the seam line area or close to it as possible? Just a thought.

Shemjo 10-30-2009 06:38 PM

Lower loft batting should make it easier to quilt through, and a longer stitch. Maybe using spray basting to hold everything together rather than pinning. Just keep trying.

joy 10-30-2009 07:21 PM

Thanks for all of that... I have lengthened the stitch to 3 but it may not be enough... the batting is "insul-bright" which is needled insulated lining... it is used for pot mats and oven cloths... and lots of other things too... U would never have thought of using cotton batting... you wouldn't be able to take a roasting dish out of the oven because of the heat !!! The glue stick sounds good and the spray...

patricej 10-31-2009 03:11 AM

could you show us a photo or two of the results you aren't happy with? if we can see your problem, it would be easier to make some more suggestions.

Ramona Byrd 10-31-2009 12:55 PM

A whole lot of years ago one of my early teen daughters had became very annoyed at her doll quilt puckering.

So I noticed that she had put her backing into a big embroidery hoop, then hand basted it all tight and nice.
I think that now HER daughter or granddaughter might still have that same small crazy quilt. It did work out nicely.