Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with new machine please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-new-machine-please-t181645.html)

hsweany 03-04-2012 03:42 PM

Help with new machine please

I just got a new Janome 4120QDC yesterday. It was working great until I had to change the bobbin. The top thread that goes through the needle seems to catch on the bobbin casing and doesn't go all the way around. Thread goes over the top of the case and builds up. It is a top loading bobbin. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks. I have rethreaded the machine and the bobbin. I can't tell my husband we spent all this money on a machine I can't use. Mthanks.

QuiltE 03-04-2012 03:51 PM

First suggestion is to totally take the thread out of both the top and bobbin.
Then get your manual out and read it, and follow it precisely to re-thread all.
It could be that you are missing a step or doing something just not quite right.

And why would you fear to tell your husband?
It's not your fault ... and part of what can happen when one gets something new, whether it's a sewing machine? a car? a coffee maker? etc.

hsweany 03-04-2012 03:58 PM

Thanks for your suggestion. I have taken all the thread out and read the manual. I will try that again. I just feel guilty because he bought me a machine way more expensive than we talked about. He won't be mad....I am just stressed because I've worked on this for several hours. I guess I just need to walk away from it for awhile.

QuiltE 03-04-2012 04:18 PM

Stop feeling guilty! ... and be open and honest with your husband.
There's no need to cause yourself this sort of stress.
It's new and you are just getting familiar with it.

Chances are he can relate ... has there been a tool or piece of equipment that he got new and found it a challenge to adapt to it?

Just praise him for being so kind and generous ... and he'll accept that you just have to learn the new stuff.

QuiltnNan 03-04-2012 04:21 PM

I had that happen yesterday. Took off the throat plate and cleaned out all the fluff 'n stuff that had accumulated. Now it hums along.

momto5 03-04-2012 04:50 PM

Hey!
If it helps...I have thirteen different machines and go through this same scenario more often than I'll admit...I know some of them HAVE to thread in a similar manner, but darned if it seams like it! Keep at it...you'll learn. It just takes time to adjust to a new machine. Good luck!

momto5 03-04-2012 04:51 PM

Hey!
If it helps...I have thirteen different machines and go through this same scenario more often than I'll admit...I know some of them HAVE to thread in a similar manner, but darned if it seams like it! Keep at it...you'll learn. It just takes time to adjust to a new machine. Good luck!

Peckish 03-04-2012 04:52 PM

I had the exact same thing happen yesterday, too! Only it was one of my older machines. The upper thread kept getting caught and was nesting under the feed dogs, instead of going all the way around. Took me 2 hours to figure it out. I took everything off, unscrewed everything, dusted everything, talked sweetly to it, felt like an idiot, tweezed some lint out of it, patted it, put it all back together, and THEN it sewed like a dream. I swear to god these machines have personalities. I think this one was just lonely because I'd been using a different machine. Holly - I wouldn't say the money was wasted just because you're having a problem right now. It's very likely there's some small thing you're missing simply because the machine is new to you - ask me how I know. :) If your hubby is the helpful type, ask him to watch and see if he can figure out what the problem is. Sometimes it's helpful to have a second pair of eyes & hands.

mighty 03-04-2012 05:52 PM

I've had this happen more times than I can count. Breath relax and try again. I'm sure it is just because it is new and you have not figured out all the steps yet. Hang in there!!!!!

Dolphyngyrl 03-04-2012 06:55 PM

Read your manual, I guarantee you are threading it wrong somewhere, maybe the bobbin is in backward. maybe try a different thread maybe your machine doesn't like the thread.