Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with new venture (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-new-venture-t168055.html)

Funmom 11-13-2011 03:34 PM

Help with new venture

Hello everyone. I have looked on this site for a long time bu never posted anything. I have reached a point where I am looking into a new venture.

I have a masters in insurance and out of work for 20 months. I absolutely love quilting and sewing. I have upwards of 30 tops done and put away. I also do purses, bags, table runners and other items for some small craft sows on the area. I am ready to venture out and do the large craft events in the area. I am shopping for a long arm to finish up quilts to have ready for sale ad to do some quilting for others. I want to do wat I have fun at for a change in my life.

If anyone has tips or helpful ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. I did write to an individual for some information but did not get a response. I am not looking to take work away from those doing this already. I live in Iowa and there is a good enough need right hear to do some quilting for others The craft shows are my biggest money maker I believe. I need to find reasonable priced fabric and batting to make the most profit so any places you can suggest would be helpful.

I love the encouragement and friendships on here. I am just not good at posting photos and this is the first post I have done. I will work at getting better using the system and look forward to any help you can give me.

God bless
Diane
funmom

needles3thread 11-13-2011 03:36 PM

This board is a good place to get reasonably priced fabrics & supplies for quilting.

Dolphyngyrl 11-13-2011 03:38 PM

Connecting threads has cheap fabric. you can get for 5 or 6 dollars a yard, real cheap when it goes on clearance

LivelyLady 11-13-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 4675184)
Connecting threads has cheap fabric. you can get for 5 or 6 dollars a yard, real cheap when it goes on clearance

I agree and the fabric is so nice; also, they have sales on batting, thread, etc.

Sewflower 11-13-2011 07:01 PM

Just keep surfing this site. It has so many ideas and tips and can be very addictive.

vwquilting 11-13-2011 07:05 PM

I would try giving classes. Selling on e-bay and try e-bay for a long arm. Good luck.

Thumbelina 11-13-2011 07:15 PM

Hi Diane, welcome from NE Ohio.

joyce888 11-13-2011 07:16 PM

I've had the best luck for finding good fabric sales at www.fabric.com. They always have sales and coupons too.

Mamatron 11-13-2011 11:12 PM

I want to do what I have fun at for a change too but I just can't right now so best wishes, that is fantastic that you are going for it. I love the saying if you find a job you love you will never work again...something like that anyway.

ckcowl 11-14-2011 02:53 AM

good luck with your venture---but keep in mind- you will not buy a long-arm- load up your first quilt and get it done perfectly-and sale ready----there is a learning curve- much practice --- some people practice and work on their own (give away) quilts for years before they are ready to quilt for someone else- some people manage to (get good enough) in a few months- but everyone needs time and lots of practice...it's not as if you can just sit down in front of your sewing machine and (whip something up)
it takes PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
so, as long as you are going into it knowing you will not be ready for this (craft fair season) but possibly be ready for next year-
and are also prepared for the investment---
it is a great way to make some extra money-
few people actually support themselves/households with their quilting- it is a good (second income) type of home business- there is a quilting season- you may find you have no-or few customers for 3-4 months a year- then are swamped for a couple months---
do a lot of research before jumping in- you will not make a living at it for a long time- it takes time to build up a customer base= and keep busy.
i don't mean to seem negative- just want you to be realistic about it