Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Please - with FMQ using invisible thread issues.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-fmq-using-invisible-thread-issues-t34288.html)

Julie Baird 01-16-2010 01:17 PM

Reduce the top tension, the monofilament is pulling the blue cotton thread to the top...

Please, do keep at the FMQ. The only way to get better and more comfortable with it is to practice on something real. It really is so much fun...

I'd recommend testing your tension adjustment on a scrap sandwich made from the leftovers from your quilt. It doesn't have to be big...just big enough to do some test stitching.

Julie

littlehud 01-16-2010 01:45 PM

I don't use invisible thread in the bobbin. It doesn't work to well.

MollieSue 01-16-2010 01:51 PM

Thanks so much Julie, I'll try reducing the tension! :)
This is my only issue with FMQ, normally I do ok, but it's my 1st time using this invisible thread with it!

Littlehud, I think I'm agreeing with you! :wink:

Scissor Queen 01-16-2010 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MollieSue
I'm trying to FMQ using sulky invisible 100% polyester thread (both on top & bottom), and my bobbin thread keeps breaking. Grrrrrrr.
I've got my upper tension on 5, using a 14/90 needle......
Any one have any hints?

This is my first time trying the invisible, as no solid color will match, (grandson's birthday quilt of big yellow appliqued smiley faces, on blue backgrounds - his design!) and I'm about ready to toss it all out the window!
Thanks!!!!
Diana :)

It doesn't have to match. A blue and yellow varigated or a blue varigated would both look good. A solid in either blue or yellow would look good too.

MollieSue 01-16-2010 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is it..... If I use a solid color, it will really show.
(my 9 year old grandson came up the design he wanted his quilt to be, and he drew the applique pattern pieces for it!)
:D

Caleb's 'birthday quilt'
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54008[/ATTACH]

MollieSue 01-16-2010 02:07 PM

Scissor Queen, do you think a blue & yellow varigated would work on it, and blend in some?

Marcia 01-16-2010 02:13 PM

Diana---when I use invisible thread for FMQ, I put regular thread in my bobbin, and use regular tension for my machine (maybe with a tiny bit of adjusting). BUT, I put my invisible thread in a glass or jar and sit it behind my machine and then thread it. If I put it on the spindle, it breaks. I hope this tip helps.

Scissor Queen 01-16-2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by MollieSue
Scissor Queen, do you think a blue & yellow varigated would work on it, and blend in some?

After seeing the top I think a blue and yellow varigated would look cool on it! If you can't find a blue and yellow an all blue varigated would look good on the backgrounds and then you could change to a solid yellow for the smiley faces if you're quilting on them too.

MollieSue 01-16-2010 07:24 PM

Thanks so much Marcia & Scissor Queen!!
I'm taking another try at it again tomorrow! :) :)

Oklahoma Suzie 01-16-2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by amma
It is not recommended to use it in the bobbin.
But if you are, they say to only wind the bobbin 1/3 full, the thead gets stretched while winding and can cause problems :wink:

I don't use it in the bobbin.