Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with quilt corduroy quilt blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-quilt-corduroy-quilt-blocks-t94637.html)

Caroline S 01-28-2011 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am making a "drag around quilt" for my great grandson as a 2nd birthday gift. It is made from the corduroy skirts no longer being used by his 93 year old great-great grandmother. Any suggestions as to sewing the 5" blocks together without creating too much bulk or having the seams come apart? I may or may not use batting since the backing fabric is flannel. By the way, the flannel came from my stash is about 20 years old. I always wondered what I was going to do with it.

Corduroy Quilt blocks and backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113698[/ATTACH]

dakotamaid 01-28-2011 08:32 AM

I would do one of of two things. 1: serge your seams OR 2: press your seams open sewing with a short stitch. Experiment with a couple of seams and see which one works best. Others on this board may have other ideas buy these are my thought.:)

Tropical 01-28-2011 08:39 AM

Those fabrics are going to make a wonderful quilt for your GGS. I haven't quilted with corduroy before but I have used it in clothing and it tends to ravel a bit.

quiltinggrandmaca 01-28-2011 08:41 AM

Corduroy would make a good rag quilt because of its fraying ability. I made a corduroy quilt for my Son and Dil and they are very heavy. I tied mine because it was just too much to try and quilt it. Good luck with your choice.

bjnicholson 01-28-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
Those fabrics are going to make a wonderful quilt for your GGS. I haven't quilted with corduroy before but I have used it in clothing and it tends to ravel a bit.

I was thinking that a 1/2 inch seam might be better and help to the raveling, no? And the idea of pressing the seams open is good too.

Adding: I love your colors and what a good way to use up that 20 year old fabric!

Lori S 01-28-2011 01:53 PM

I would press my seams open , and be a bit more generous in the seam allowance.
Consider Machine tacking in place of quilting or tieing.

Caroline S 01-29-2011 08:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I did sew the seams as you suggested and pressed the seams open. I then stitched in the ditch down each seam with a herringbone stitch. The first photo is a closeup of the herringbone stitch. Second photo is of the first three rows done next to the rest of the rows to be sewn on my design wall (aka the curtains in my loft, studio, office, sewing room etc.)

I was concerned a bit about the thickness of the seams but had no problem at all. The biggest challenge was using so many different corduroy fabrics of different weights and wales. Thanks for the suggestions.

Closeup of herringbone stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]160103[/ATTACH]

Three rows done
[ATTACH=CONFIG]160105[/ATTACH]

sewingsuz 01-29-2011 08:40 PM

It looks great with that stitch.

earthwalker 01-29-2011 08:41 PM

It looks great....this is going to be a great companion quilt for the little guy.

Caroline S 01-29-2011 08:46 PM

Keep watching. I hope to have the top done tomorrow and prepared to quilt. Everything I am using is from stash, fabric, odd color thread on bobbins and spools and including the scrap batting left over from a previous quilt. A real scrap quilt! The binding will be a light weight denim from an old jeans project.