Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help...So confused!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-so-confused-t48196.html)

pollyjvan9 06-03-2010 07:26 AM

I am making a Downey Quilts for Kids Four-Patch Quilt. Sounds simple, right?

There are 6 rows with alternate 4-patch and a focus print and the border.

These are the instructions:

Sew one A strip and one B strip together to make a strip set as shown. Press. Make three strip sets. Everything OK at this point...

Cut these strip sets into 30 units that measure 3 1/2" x 6 1/2". Sew these units together to create 15 four-patch blocks that will measure 6 1/2" square.

...How do you make a 6 1/2" block out of 3 1/2" x 6 1/2". Am I having a serious senior moment?

The only thing I can think to do is cut the supplied 6 1/2" alternate blocks down to 6" blocks.

Can anyone help me?

katier825 06-03-2010 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First you sew the strips together, for example yellow and purple. Then you cut across both colors so you have a rectangle unit with both colors. Then you put 2 of those together to make a 4 square unit - flip so that each color is diagonally across from the matching one. This 4 square is what should be 6-1/2.

not the best picture, but you'll get the idea
[ATTACH=CONFIG]78206[/ATTACH]

bearisgray 06-03-2010 07:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I have the answer - please forgive the crude drawing -
Maybe this will help?

Shelbie 06-03-2010 07:39 AM

Don't worry and don't cut up your 6 1/2" squares. If you sew two of the 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" together, you will get a finished four patch that is 6 1/2" square to alternate with the focus fabric 6 1/2" provided squares. The math may seem off but you do need that extra half inch for your seam allowance. I make crib quilts using these measurements all the time and it does work. Just go ahead and make your four patches, stitck a 6 1/2" square in between and you'll have a completed quilt top in no time. Happy stitching!

debbieumphress 06-03-2010 07:44 AM

Bearisgray, you are such an artist. It showed exactly how to do it and was a good teaching tool. LOL. I love how everyone on the board jumps in to help. Such a good feeling.
Katier825, love the colors in your quilt. Thanks for sharing.

MadQuilter 06-03-2010 07:55 AM

When you sew two pieces together (regardless of size) and you use a 1/4" seam allowance, you will always have to subtract 1/2" from the total. So, while 3 1/2 + 3 1/2 = 7, whe you subtract the 1/2" for seam allowance, you are left with 6 1/2.

Sometimes, when I am not sure or when I think my seam allowance may be off, I sew the pieced parts together, measure across and then cut my alternating patches to fit. You were on the right track with that idea too.

purplemem 06-03-2010 10:13 AM

Polly,
I'm making that same quilt and I agree, the directions are confusing. Also, when sewing together the 4-patch to the single square, make sure your 4-patches are aligned the same so that you have your diagonals going the same way. I didn't at first, so they looked a little drunk. I resewed.

Example b=black, w=white, r=red,

w b rrrrrr w b rrrrrr
b w rrrrrr b w rrrrrr
rrrrr w b rrrrr w b
rrrrr b w rrrrr b w

Clear as mud????

MJ :lol:

craftybear 06-03-2010 10:32 AM

I just finished making my 1st downy quilt top, was lots of fun