Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help squaring up blocks, please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-squaring-up-blocks-please-t183090.html)

Maureen 03-17-2012 06:49 AM

Help squaring up blocks, please

I have made a couple quilts that turned out pretty good, but this one is giving me fits. Its Yellow Brick road. All of my squares arent square. Im thinking of cutting them down a tad. Are you supposed to measure one side 9 1/4 and the other side and even 9?Will that give you a square block. I never could understand that, but math is not my thing.

Tollergirl 03-17-2012 07:11 AM

i think you have to make it the same length and width to get a square...

Termi 03-17-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen (Post 5067517)
I have made a couple quilts that turned out pretty good, but this one is giving me fits. Its Yellow Brick road. All of my squares arent square. Im thinking of cutting them down a tad. Are you supposed to measure one side 9 1/4 and the other side and even 9?Will that give you a square block. I never could understand that, but math is not my thing.

Hi Maureen, you would have to have a 10" or larger square ruler. Place the ruler on the block with the right hand upper corner of the ruler on the upper right hand corner of the block with the corners even. Then make sure the 45 degree line is going thru the bottom left corner of the block. You would then cut off any fabric on the right side sticking out from under the ruler. BUT before you do that, make sure the width of the block is the size you want. Then turn the block a half turn and measure from the left side to the right the size you want and cut what's sticking out from under the ruler on the right. Then do the same for the top and bottom of the block. I hope this makes sense.

noahscats7 03-17-2012 08:00 AM

I love my quilt in a day square it up ruler. It only goes to 9 1/2" squares but so easy to use. Does anyone know of a larger one?

QuiltE 03-17-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by noahscats7 (Post 5067726)
I love my quilt in a day square it up ruler. It only goes to 9 1/2" squares but so easy to use. Does anyone know of a larger one?

I won a 20-1/2" square in a Shop Hop and would never have bought one ... thinking it was frivolous and too costly!

Well, talk about using something and convincing yourself how great it is! :)

However ..... if it should ever break .... I would NOT replace it!
Instead, I would buy the next size up ...... if working with folded WOF, the 20-1/2" is just not quite big enough!
I know there's at least one size larger than the 20-1/2", possibly two?

Convinced of the values and merits ... I have since purchased the 12-1/2" square, to have one a little easier to work with for smaller needs. And just recently a 9-1/2" for smaller blocks.

Again, I was thinking I was being a bit frivolous .... and just in the short time I've had it, I've discoverd how much I am reaching for the 9-1/2"!!

Another good purchase and a happy quilter!!!!! :)
(oh we quilters can justify most anything, can't we?:))