Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-t14925.html)

Carol W 01-01-2009 10:24 AM

I have just finished stitching in the ditch a full size quilt. The back has three places that have puckering.

Would you rip out the stitching and redo it?

It's for my sister. She has asked for two years for a quilt from me. Now it's puckery on the quilt back.

Thanks!

jstitch 01-01-2009 10:39 AM

Can you show us some pictures?

I have just done the same and took out a small part of the stitching,,, about 6 inches either side of the problem area..

Then put it back on the machine and re sewed it, paying attention to letting the machine do the work properly..

Are you using a walking foot? if so, just let the machine do the work and it will ease the pucker away...make sure you have the quilt flat and smooth when you start...

Hope this helps and you have success...

Carol W 01-01-2009 10:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics.

pocoellie 01-01-2009 10:55 AM

I think Jstitch is right on this. It's not real bad puckering, so I would do just what jstitch suggested.

mary quite contrary 01-01-2009 10:55 AM

If Judy's suggestion doesn't work (it should because they look little) applique a little patch over it.

farscapegal 01-01-2009 10:56 AM

Personally I would take it out and redo it.

Sybil

jstitch 01-01-2009 10:57 AM

OK, I think that these are fixable..

I would try it on one, maybe the least offensive one.. and see if you can work it out.. then move on to the next one...

Here is what I would do...

remove the stitching about 6 inches on each side of the pucker...

lay the quilt flat on a table and pin baste along the quilting line about every two inches and about 1 1/2 inches away from where you are going to sew. Do this on both sides of the quilting line. Turn it over and check to make sure you havent bastes another pucker in...

By the way, when I pin baste, I put all the pins in while the quilt is laying flat, then go back and close them, so I dont distort the back

Put it back into the machine, and using your walking foot, quilt it again..allowing the machine to do the easing of the fullness both on the top and the bottom..

Let us know how it works..

Carol W 01-01-2009 12:27 PM

Thank you very much. I'll try that.

sewnsewer2 01-01-2009 12:29 PM

I would only because I am a perfectionist.

Carol W 01-01-2009 12:38 PM

I'm very unhappy with the way it looks.

I may also take another seam out. I'm not happy with an area on the front of the quilt either. It's not puckered. It's just not lying flat.

I was very careful when quilting this quilt. I used a walking foot and my quilting gloves. Gently guiding it into the machine. Constantly fluffing it so that it didn't bunch up.

Oh well, it wasn't meant to be done the first time. Hopefully the second quilting will go well.