Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-t164109.html)

jetayre 10-29-2011 06:43 AM

I want to sew a 40 x 60"throw blanket. One side is thicker cotton and the other is fleece. I have made fleece - to - fleece but I have never done two different fabrics to fleece. I have a newJanome 2011 and love it so need all info I can get. Stretch, needles, thread (I use Gutermann usually), stitches, etc.. Also what I need to hold it together -

grammy Dwynn 10-29-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by jetayre
I want to sew a 40 x 60"throw blanket. One side is thicker cotton and the other is fleece. I have made fleece - to - fleece but I have never done two different fabrics to fleece. I have a newJanome 2011 and love it so need all info I can get. Stretch, needles, thread (I use Gutermann usually), stitches, etc.. Also what I need to hold it together -

Welcome from Oregon
Fleece has a lot more stretch then cotton. You say that your cotton is thicker ~ is it a 'quilting' cotton or something heavier like poplin or broadcloth? Are you piecing the cotton side? Or are you just wanting to 'sandwich' the two fabrics together? IMHO (In My Humble Opinion), I would put 'like' fabrics together, because of the stretch factor.

jetayre 10-29-2011 07:22 AM

I know I am asking for it to put the two fabrics together, but I was hoping some one has and had success so I could do it. The cloth is close to broadcloth and had airplanes on it and that is why I need to use it rather than a generic. Would a stretch stich do it and what setting for the fleece and cotton together?

gm5casey 10-29-2011 07:32 AM

A few years ago I made a baby quilt using a pieced cotton top and fleece backing. The top design perfectly lended itself to SID so I was able to carefully avoid the stretching issue. I did not need batting. It turned out so soft and cuddly. It washed well, and when dried it came out great looking. Good luck!

ckcowl 10-29-2011 08:53 AM

i've made lots of quilts with cottons on the top and fleece backs- some i've used batting in, a couple i did not- it is up to you =
use a regular sharp or universal needle-
i recommend poly thread instead of cotton.
smooth the fleece= don't stretch it when you put the sandwich together- or you could tie it- that works well too with fleece.
it is not any more difficult to use than any other fabric.. a little thicker- you might need to adjust (loosen) your tension a little- but you may not have to- i've never had to- fleece quilts up beautifully. just baste well-either with pins every 4" or with needle and thread-- and smooth it--don't stretch it.

jetayre 10-29-2011 09:07 AM

Thank you so much for you input.

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i've made lots of quilts with cottons on the top and fleece backs- some i've used batting in, a couple i did not- it is up to you =
use a regular sharp or universal needle-
i recommend poly thread instead of cotton.
smooth the fleece= don't stretch it when you put the sandwich together- or you could tie it- that works well too with fleece.
it is not any more difficult to use than any other fabric.. a little thicker- you might need to adjust (loosen) your tension a little- but you may not have to- i've never had to- fleece quilts up beautifully. just baste well-either with pins every 4" or with needle and thread-- and smooth it--don't stretch it.

wolfkitty 10-29-2011 09:43 AM

I see a lot of posts here where people use fleece for the backing of a cotton, pieced quilt.

moreland 10-29-2011 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by jetayre
I know I am asking for it to put the two fabrics together, but I was hoping some one has and had success so I could do it. The cloth is close to broadcloth and had airplanes on it and that is why I need to use it rather than a generic. Would a stretch stich do it and what setting for the fleece and cotton together?

I have done many many quilts with cotton (some pieced, some whole cloth) on one side and fleece on the other. I do try to use pretty "sturdy" fleece --some is much thinner than other bolts and I do look for the thicker fleece. Good luck. Oh yes, I just use basting spray to anchor the pieces together then quilt with my sewing machine--I like variations of the zig-zag stitch best.

jetayre 10-29-2011 03:16 PM

Thank you so much for your helpful suggestion.

QuiltnLady1 10-29-2011 05:21 PM

Welcome -- I am not familiar with the Janome 2011, I have the Janome Horizon 7700.

I have made quilts with fleece on one side and cotton on the other. Sometime I spray baste and bind (no batting). Having the cotton on one side stabilizes the fleece so it can be quilted. I have also finished the quilts envelops style, but was not as happy with it since the fleece stretched a bit more.

A lot depends on the size of the quilt -- the bigger the quilt the more likely there could be stretching so the spray basting is the best way to go.