Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-t211136.html)

SusanMarie1956 01-16-2013 12:34 PM

Help...

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!

How do you make the lines on a quilt. I need to know how you achieve that QUILTED LOOK. And what attachment / feet do you need to use on it.

For example, I'll show a quilt that has what I call the quilted look.

Thank You!!!

Susan[ATTACH=CONFIG]388467[/ATTACH]

PaperPrincess 01-16-2013 12:55 PM

Well, that's quilting! To do a straight line, which is the cross hatch area of your example, you would probably use a walking foot. The wreath could be done with FMQ (Free motion quilting) using a hopping foot with the feed dogs down... Not really sure I'm answering your question...

fien777 01-16-2013 12:56 PM

http://www.quiltingthetownred.blogspot.nl/
she has a tutorial, maybe it helps?

Tartan 01-16-2013 12:58 PM

That appears to be a whole cloth quilt. There are tons of ways to mark a quilt but always do a sample first with whatever method to be sure the marks come out. There are quilt pens that come out with water spritzed over them. There are quilt pens that fade over time. There are chalk pump pens that was out.

There are chalk pounce pads and stencils.....
The next method would be a variety of papers that you stitch through. There is Goldenthread paper, paper designs already printed at some quilt shops, tissue paper patterns you make yourself......

Are you planning to hand quilt or machine quilt? It does make a difference on which method you can use depending on hand or machine.

Dina 01-16-2013 01:04 PM

Susan, after I have my quilt sandwiched, I either stitch in the seams of the quilt top, called stitch in the ditch, or I go diagonal with my lines. To do that, I use blue painter's tape and lay it on my fabric so that I can sew next to it. I am an experienced beginner and have not tried anything fancier than that.

I don't know if this helps or not. You may want to research sandwiching your quilt, if that isn't something you understand. You will probably also need to figure out how to actually do the sewing....starting in the middle, rolling the quilt if necessary, etc.

I learned the basics in a quilting class. Maybe that could be something for you.

But you have come to the right place to ask questions. Ask away.

Dina

Jackie Spencer 01-16-2013 02:49 PM

If you have the guides that come with most walking feet, all you have to mark is your first quilting line, set your guides, and make sure they are the correct distance and then sew.

SusanMarie1956 01-16-2013 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank You All !!! So first I need a walking foot. I'll have to look for one. As of now I have been tying my quilts. I'm posting a picture of the one I'm making for our son.

Susan[ATTACH=CONFIG]388544[/ATTACH]

TexasSunshine 01-16-2013 08:20 PM

I have done a lot of cross hatching on quilts and of course use the walking foot, which I use for almost everything anyway. I use an attachment, a guide, that goes on the pressure foot that you adjust to make even lines. I generally mark my quilt with chalk from corner to corner for the first row, then set the guide for 2, 3, or 4 inches apart and start sewing. I find it very easy to do.

Tracy_Lit5 01-17-2013 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To take the quilt lines a little further: What about how to determine WHERE to start your first quilt line.
I have a project that is not a standard size. It's 13hx17-1/2w. I used various angles, but nothing works. I've tried 45 degree and 60 degree, but they don't work.
It wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that the project is folded and seamed together so it's a tube at 13" high
Every time I fold it, the points never match up. Is there some sort of formula? I could adjust the height to 13 1/2" high, but the 17 1/2w can't go smaller.
There MUST be a formula or guide line somewhere...but I can't find it.
Can anyone help me....please?
This wine tote shows the front, but the back seam points don't match up :(