Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with a tossed 9-Patch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-tossed-9-patch-t27236.html)

Gilla 10-17-2009 03:45 PM

I purchased 6 - 5" x 40 charm packs and started to make 9" squares. I have finished 15 squares and cut them up into 4 parts as suggested. Each cut square measures 7". I am trying to make a single quilt. When I laid the cut squares out, 10 wide per row, I was only able to make a little more than 4 rows. I still have about 120 5" squares left, but when I measure it out it does not give me enough to make a single quilt.

What am I doing wrong?

Just using 5" squares in a rows 14 x 14, would give me enough to make a single. Either I don't see the forest of the trees, or what is going on, but I am not getting anywhere.
Can someone lead me out of the woods?

Cathe 10-17-2009 03:51 PM

Some people call this a Disappearing Nine Patch.

I am not quite understanding your question, though. :oops:

Gilla 10-17-2009 03:55 PM

I have a Quilt in a Day booklet that is supposed to help. But I cannot figure out what the measurements they list mean. They call it tossed 9 patch, i.e. make a 9 oatch and cut it in quarters and then sew it back in a different format.
G

june6995 10-17-2009 04:01 PM

Google "disappearing nine patch quilt block" and find several sites that tell you how and what.

BellaBoo 10-17-2009 04:38 PM

Hmm, a six inch square will end up making the dis.nine patch block about
17 1/2" . I have made several and usually have 5 blocks across and 6 down for a good size quilt. I used 6" squares so 5" squares should make a block about 14 1/2". Here is a site that has great directions about the disp. nine patch.

http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/200...g-9-patch.html

bearisgray 10-17-2009 05:12 PM

I'm also confused -

1) Did you cut your 5-inch squares down to 3-inch squares,

2) and then sew the 3-inch squares into 9-patches (3x3 grid)?

3) which would measure 8x8 inches (unfinished) before you cut the 9-patch block into quarters/fourths?

4) After resewing the quarters, did you end up with 7-1/2 inch (unfinished) blocks?

Is this where you are at? Or did I totally misunderstand what you did/are doing?

Gilla 10-17-2009 05:17 PM

Most of the ones I have seen on Google show the actual quilts, but no measurements.
Using what you mentioned, Bellaboo. to make a 70 x 70 I should need 5 9 patches across, and 5 9 patches down. If I cut them as I need to do, I should wind up with a 70 x 70 inch quilt. Am I right? Then if I put a 2 1/2 sashing and a four in wide border borfrt, I should wind up with a 82 - 83" square quilt?

Maybe I am getting too old for this, but my math has left me.

G

Gilla 10-17-2009 05:26 PM

Yes!

Gilla 10-17-2009 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I'm also confused -

1) Did you cut your 5-inch squares down to 3-inch squares,

2) and then sew the 3-inch squares into 9-patches (3x3 grid)?

3) which would measure 8x8 inches (unfinished) before you cut the 9-patch block into quarters/fourths?

4) After resewing the quarters, did you end up with 7-1/2 inch (unfinished) blocks?

Is this where you are at? Or did I totally misunderstand what you did/are doing?

Yes, I am assuming you mean 14 1/2 for the full 9 patch and 7" after cutting?

G

bearisgray 10-17-2009 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gilla
I purchased 6 - 5" x 40 charm packs and started to make 9" squares. I have finished 15 squares and cut them up into 4 parts as suggested. Each cut square measures 7". I am trying to make a single quilt. When I laid the cut squares out, 10 wide per row, I was only able to make a little more than 4 rows. I still have about 120 5" squares left, but when I measure it out it does not give me enough to make a single quilt.

What am I doing wrong?

Just using 5" squares in a rows 14 x 14, would give me enough to make a single. Either I don't see the forest of the trees, or what is going on, but I am not getting anywhere.
Can someone lead me out of the woods?

Okay - I think I see where I'm confused -

Originally Posted by Gilla
I purchased 6 - 5" x 40 charm packs and started to make 9" squares.

Did you mean "making 9-patch squares/blocks"???? out of the 5 inch squares? - and after sewing them together, the blocks should measure about 14 inches?

After cutting the 9-patch blocks apart - are you rearranging the pieces and resewing four quarters back together? After you do, you should end up with blocks approximately 13.5 x 13.5 square.

Check the instructions for the Disappearing 9-patch - I think that might help solve the mystery.