Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! WHAT am I doing wrong? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-what-am-i-doing-wrong-t214663.html)

SandiGrove 02-23-2013 04:16 PM

Help! WHAT am I doing wrong?

I am stippling and it was going well - now half way thru my top thread is not catching my bobbin thread
I have a Phaff 4.0
I have changed the needle, cleaned the bobbin case,re threaded top thread... and now!!?

Prism99 02-23-2013 04:21 PM

Could be a tiny bit of fluff is caught between your upper tension discs. You can "floss" the discs with ***unwaxed*** dental floss to clean that area. (You do not want to deposit wax on those discs!)

Also, have you cleaned underneath the needle plate? (I don't have a Pfaff but assume you have a needle plate covering the feed dogs. There may be just enough lint compacted in there to affect the timing.

pumpkinpatchquilter 02-23-2013 04:24 PM

Eeep - that does sound like timing. Did you stipple over any thick seams or break a needle?

SandiGrove 02-23-2013 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter (Post 5883349)
Eeep - that does sound like timing. Did you stipple over any thick seams or break a needle?

No neither but how can it be ok one minute and the next not? Grrrrrrrrrr lol

Candace 02-23-2013 07:10 PM

Are you sure your foot is down?

alleyoop1 02-24-2013 12:35 PM

Re-thread the machine, change the needle, re-thread the bobbin, clean under the presser plate and in the bobbin case. Oil where recommended. If that doesn't help then check to be sure you didn't mess up the presser foot pressure, or any other settings.

pumpkinpatchquilter 02-26-2013 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by SandiGrove (Post 5883357)
No neither but how can it be ok one minute and the next not? Grrrrrrrrrr lol

Hmmm. Did you ever resolve this?

Did you change the needle? Sometimes if you're using the wrong needle size for the thread it won't stitch.

Another thought...can you try dropping your needle in on another location on the quilt sandwich? I had this happen just Monday I was teaching a lady to quilt and for some reason, we were tooting a long just fine and then it wouldn't stitch. I moved to a different spot and it stitched fine. Maybe it was something to do with the batting or spring in the sandwich causing me to push on the needle...I don't know. It was odd. I've been quilting nearly ten years and it's the first time that's happened!

Checking on the foot pressure is a good idea mentioned up there too!

Hope you got it worked out!

Weezy Rider 02-27-2013 05:44 AM

Go reset your stitch settings if you have saved them in personal stitches along with trying everything else. I have some stitches saved in personal stitches on the 2170 and they will stitch funny at times. Delete, reprogram and save again.

You just might have a weird machine. I had an Elna serger do that. I would have it set up just right, sewing fine, turn the machine off. Come back next day to use the same settings, and the stitches were totally haywire. Threading, needles, settings just fine when turned off. Turn on and no go.