Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help - where did this come from? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-where-did-come-t202670.html)

Jan in VA 10-08-2012 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ncsewer (Post 5571240)
Hi Jan, You are a wealth of information. I've noticed several times you have know so much about the topic. Thanks for always sharing!

Oh my goodness, aren't you sweet!
I guess I've been in the industry a l-o-n-g time and remember way more than is necessary.:eek:

Jan in VA

lynnie 10-08-2012 03:50 PM

At a.c.moore by the counter...grandmas spot remover. Works great

NanaCsews2 10-08-2012 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5571251)
straight pins and needles can also rust and leave marks in fabric

Rust sure is an enemy with quilting! I haven't had any issues with rust on fabric, so I can't be of any help there.

Here is where rust happens too: I have always stuck a pin (usually a 'T' pin) in the opening to my glue bottles, even after closing them. This way the glue doesn't harden in the tips. Well, I use the bottle caps with long tips from empty hair coloring bottles bought at a beauty supply store. The caps fit perfectly on the Elmer's School Glue bottles. Yesterday, not thinking, I grabbed a Clover 'flower head' pin and placed it in the spout to store the glue after using it. Pulled out the pin today and it was rusted, along with the glue that was still in the spout. Squeezed that rusty glue out and found myself a 'T' pin and put it in the opening. I have never had a problem with rusting from the 'T' pins in glue bottles. I checked my pin cushions and the flower head pins all looked fine.

Irish Jan 10-09-2012 03:09 AM

Thanks to all of you, I knew you would all come to my rescue, I can always count on the Quilting Board to come thru. I will try the suggestions and let you know how they work out.what would we do without each other? thanks again

quiltmaker52 10-09-2012 04:24 AM

Try hydrogen peroxide. It does NOT bleach anything, and medical personnel use it to get out blood. It just may do the trick.

By the way, peroxide also takes out smells. My cat peed on a brand new sofa and chair when we were gone for a week. I tried all the normal remedies, like Nature's Miracle, and it would remove the smell for a few days, then would be back even worse! So I saturated the areas with a 50/50 mixture of water and peroxide, and let it dry thoroughly. It's been 2 months and not a hint of urine!

Dollyo 10-09-2012 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5571232)
I have heard of a product called Whink but I have never used it.

I've used Whink Rust Stain Remover for years. It works great. Squirt it on and the rust disappears. It is made for color fast fabrics. I would test it on a small area first. You want the brown bottle. Good luck.

maviskw 10-09-2012 05:29 AM

I have a bottle of Whink that I have had for at least 40 years. One drop and the rust is gone. You can watch it disappear. Then rinse the spot with plain water.

running1 10-09-2012 06:02 AM

I'm sure glad I checked this thread!! I'll be getting some Whink Rust Stain Remover!!!

mojo11 10-09-2012 07:40 AM

As I have said before, we all learn something from here. Thanks for all the tips.

GrannieAnnie 10-09-2012 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Irish Jan (Post 5571101)
I am quilting an antique wedding ring quilt by hand and I discovered that all the safety pins I pinned it with has rusted on the quilt and I had to pull them out. Now how do I get the rust stains off the quilt. and why did this happen when I had it right by my chair in the family room? anyone know or can help me...

there's a very common rust remover in the cleaning section of the grocery. I think it's called ZINK but I'm not sure. Try that. At worst-------it won't hurt your fabic.