Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP!!! Why is this happening???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-why-happening-t196807.html)

Silver Needle 08-05-2012 07:21 PM

There is a video on The Quilt Show "Sally Collins Teaches Precision Piecing" that I found very helpful. She also has a book. I have already watched the video twice and will probably do so several more times. Lots of good information. It will be available either until or through September. You have to join to watch most of the videos but I think I have already learned enough in a month to pay for the membership. It was recommended by someone here on the board.

hevemi 08-05-2012 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 5420232)
Another thing to watch out for, which happens to alot of us (ahem...me!!)--make sure you are carefully stitching an accurate seam all the way to the end, and not looking away beforehand to pick up the next pair to sew. When we do that, the stitching goes wherever it wants to while we look away, and that is usually in the last half inch or so, right where it really needs to be very accurate!

Also it helps if you hold down the end of the piece with a stiletto to prevent your fabrics from moving- I use an old seam ripper (and those I have worn dull aplenty!)

Latrinka 08-07-2012 05:25 AM

I don't know what to tell you, except maybe take a break and eat some chocolate!

burchquilts 08-07-2012 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker (Post 5420086)
Ok...I was busy typing before you re-posted. Usually you press to the dark or follow the recommendations in a pattern. Personally I press them open...makes it easier to quilt.

I press all mine open, too, & just don't have this problem. Plus I think it makes seams easier to match up.

pollyjvan9 08-07-2012 06:11 AM

I try to make all my pieced blocks a tad oversized, that way I can trim them down to the correct size. Also, I don't remember if anyone suggested starching your fabric before you cut, this really helps keep the fabric from stretching. I also mark my seam line on the back of the fabric with a mechanical pencil. This is time consuming, but really makes me stay on the line all the way from corner to corner.

quiltmom04 08-07-2012 10:06 AM

This is why I use Deb Tucker's rulers and make blocks a bit oversize anda cut them down to be as accurate as possible .

crafterrn1 08-07-2012 11:29 AM

Okay here is what I would do. First stop using steam when you press HST's. It will distort them everytime(for new HST makers) I always use a dry iron. If I need moisture I spray water from a water bottle.
Second check the seam allowace. Be very careful with the tail ends. They must be straight too.
Third press to the top on the flying geese unit. if it is a smidge to big trim it. If a smidge to short redo it. I hate the rip it stitch(frog stitch) but I do it when needed. I use the wondercut ruler and the easy angle ruler for HST's. For the flying geese and hst's you can use the 4 X 4 flying geese ruler or the fomula for the squares and do it without that ruler. There are many options. I was lucky to find the ones that work for me. Be gentle, take your time and remember to breathe! Have fun! Luann

quilting in my60s 08-08-2012 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 5420232)
Another thing to watch out for, which happens to alot of us (ahem...me!!)--make sure you are carefully stitching an accurate seam all the way to the end, and not looking away beforehand to pick up the next pair to sew. When we do that, the stitching goes wherever it wants to while we look away, and that is usually in the last half inch or so, right where it really needs to be very accurate!

I found out that was what I was doing. Sewing clothes that little bit at the end of the seam didn't seem to matter much but when quilting it matters a lot.