Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help - yellowed material! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-yellowed-material-t185754.html)

ragqueen03 04-11-2012 06:08 PM

help - yellowed material!

Re discovered my very first quilt top i made probably 15 years ago. I had it packed away and found it the other day. It was a very simple pattern and I used red, green and a off-white glittery material. Around the edges of the top the off white has yellowed :( took it to the laundromat and washed it ( the reds didn't run like i thought they might - yea!) but it still has the yellow. any ideas how to get rid of the yellowed part or it is beyond help. i thought of using a color safe bleach additive but am a little afraid. Would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

valleyquiltermo 04-11-2012 06:14 PM

I use oxyclean works well, good luck. Nice to have found your first quilt. I still have mine also.

mighty 04-11-2012 08:19 PM

I do agree I would try oxyclean.

QM 04-11-2012 08:35 PM

Oxyclean sounds like the best bet to me too.

Tartan 04-11-2012 08:44 PM

It sounds like the oxyclean would be good to try and if it doesn't come out, think about over dying the whole top. You could tea dye it or use rite dye to give it all an antique look.

sylviak 04-11-2012 09:23 PM

Soak for an hour or so in the oxyclean...that stuff is great! Won't bleach your colors.

117becca 04-12-2012 01:25 AM

I use a combo of oxyclean & biz. Take 1 scoop(the oxyclean scoop) of biz and oxyclean for each gallon of water. Soak for a couple hours depending on the yellowing.

I used my washer - but I also don't have a front loader, so i can use lots of water. You could also use the bath tub. I spun it out when i wanted to see if i got the yellowing out. I will say that I didn't think I had gotten the yellowing out, but when I dried the quilt, it really was gone. Go figure!

ragqueen03 04-12-2012 03:14 AM

Thanks so much!Going to try the oxyclean this weekend!

pinkberrykay 04-12-2012 04:13 AM

It sounds like the glue that adheres the glitter to the material was not acid free which is why it yellowed.

humbird 04-12-2012 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by ragqueen03 (Post 5134252)
Re discovered my very first quilt top i made probably 15 years ago. I had it packed away and found it the other day. It was a very simple pattern and I used red, green and a off-white glittery material. Around the edges of the top the off white has yellowed :( took it to the laundromat and washed it ( the reds didn't run like i thought they might - yea!) but it still has the yellow. any ideas how to get rid of the yellowed part or it is beyond help. i thought of using a color safe bleach additive but am a little afraid. Would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

You say quilt "top." If it is just the top, I wouldn't do anymore washing until quilted. You could then try the ideas mentioned here.