Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hey everyone! Another quilty question. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hey-everyone-another-quilty-question-t24796.html)

sewred 08-29-2009 01:37 PM

Hello everyone I'm sorry but i have another quilty question.
Here goes: I am doing a swap of earth toned fabric and they asked for noodles 5 inches in width so how long do i may them? Is there a certain size and if it is the length of the fabric what if it is fat quarters, is that alright to do? Sorry just new at this please help?! :oops:

patricej 08-29-2009 02:15 PM

don't apologize for asking questions. we love to answer them. ;-)

my guess would be the whole width of fabric, but ... as i said ... that's just a guess. you should check with the others in the swap to find out if they're expecting the noodles to be a certain length.

Jim's Gem 08-29-2009 02:47 PM

Everything I have seen is talking about the 44" width of the fabric.
Please, don't hesitate to ask questions. There are lots of folks here who love to help out!

Shemjo 08-29-2009 03:07 PM

OK, sew now I know what a nooole is! I had heard of them, but I didn't remember! :?

barnbum 08-29-2009 03:41 PM

I had noodles for dinner--with tomato sauce. Those are the only noodles I know about. :lol:

MsSage 08-29-2009 04:23 PM

Let me warn you even with the precut fabric in the "rolls" some of the fabric is going to be 2-3 inches shorter than the others........

justwannaquilt 08-29-2009 04:42 PM

What is it with all these fabric cuts being called by food names?
Honey Buns (1.5 inch strips)
Jelly rolls (2.5inch strips)
Dessert Rolls (5 inch strips)
Layer cakes (10 inch blocks)
Turnovers (precut triangles)

then they put sets together and call them Charming Jelly Cakes (charm pack, jelly roll, and layer cake all sold together)

now someone has started calling 5 inch strips NOODLES!!!!

there is something not right about having these food items in our fabric stashs! "honey will you go get me that Jelly Roll out of the second drawer down in my rolling fabric cart!"

to answer the question I would guess they would want 5" x width of fabric (44 inches most the time), you would have to ask the hostess of the swap about using fat quarters but they might let you send in twice as many cuts, instead of sending in five strips that are 44 inches, you MIGHT be able to send in 10 22 inch strips! Talk to the hostess I am sure she will answer ANY and ALL questions you have!

Chele 08-29-2009 04:54 PM

Noodles, jelly rolls, and honey buns are cut the WOW (width of fabric, which is usually 44-45"). No need to remove selvages. Just match up those selvages so you get a nice cut with no "elbows" in the center. They're really fun to work with.

butterflywing 08-29-2009 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I had noodles for dinner--with tomato sauce. Those are the only noodles I know about. :lol:

you noodlehead! LOL! :roll:

butterflywing 08-29-2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
What is it with all these fabric cuts being called by food names?
Honey Buns (1.5 inch strips)
Jelly rolls (2.5inch strips)
Dessert Rolls (5 inch strips)
Layer cakes (10 inch blocks)
Turnovers (precut triangles)

then they put sets together and call them Charming Jelly Cakes (charm pack, jelly roll, and layer cake all sold together)

i believe that by naming them after comfort foods, they think you'll want to buy them.