Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hint about water soluble stabilizers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hint-about-water-soluble-stabilizers-t55004.html)

mzsooz 07-17-2010 08:17 PM

I was watching Fons and Porter the other day and they were discussing water soluble stabilizers. After you have soaked your item in the water to dissolve away the stabilizer do NOT pour the water down your drains, toilet, etc. It actually refconstitutes itself and will plug up your plumbing. Toss it outside I guess and ruin the planet! :lol: :lol:

I'm sure most of you know this anyway but I was surprised!

virtualbernie 07-17-2010 08:20 PM

I didn't know it. Thanks for the tip!

auntiehenno 07-17-2010 08:46 PM

How cow! Didn't know this, is their a warning on them? Which one did you use and was their a warning. Sould let them know!Thanks for information

M.E.H. 07-17-2010 08:53 PM

I was thinking about buying some. NOW, I think I can sew without it.
Thank you

BellaBoo 07-17-2010 09:10 PM

If you flush toilet paper you don't have to worry about flushing the water from soluble stabilizers. ;-)

mzsooz 07-17-2010 10:31 PM

It was the guest on the Fons and Porter show that told about this story. She found out the hard way. Apparently it gummed up her plumbing and cost her a fortune to get it fixed.

Another hint was to put a bunch of little pieces of the stabilizer that you had cut off from your project and were too small to use anywhere else into this water. Stir until it is cloudy. Put in fridge (it molds if you don't). Then you can use a paint brush and paint this liquid stabilizer onto the back of your fabric and let dry.

I don't use this stuff so don't know any more than I'm telling now. I just thought it was kind of interesting.

DebraK 07-17-2010 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
I was watching Fons and Porter the other day and they were discussing water soluble stabilizers. After you have soaked your item in the water to dissolve away the stabilizer do NOT pour the water down your drains, toilet, etc. It actually refconstitutes itself and will plug up your plumbing. Toss it outside I guess and ruin the planet! :lol: :lol:

I'm sure most of you know this anyway but I was surprised!

I think about this kind of stuff a lot. I try not to use things where I have to throw something away. I do not like spray baste for this reason. I avoid chemicals as much as possible. Fusing has been my biggest grapple. It is so darn easy.

the culture of quilting has changed so much, but hopefully the essence is the same.

pojo 07-17-2010 10:56 PM

You learn something new every day in your life.
I'm glad you posted this I was going to buy some.
Thanks.

no1jan 07-17-2010 11:57 PM

Thanks in advance. I just bought some water soluble stabilizer to use on a project TODAY! Talk about timing!

mlaceruby 07-18-2010 02:20 AM

To remove the WSS I always used a scrap of fabric and a steam iron.
place the fabric over the item and them use lots of steam.
the WSS will dissolve and adhere to the scrap.
Or use a towel then just throw in the wash.
the washer uses enough water that the concentration is diluted no fear of hurting the pipes!
used this for years for machine embroidery and lace