Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/homemade-handcrafted-vs-department-stores-t80942.html)

deedum 12-06-2010 04:20 AM

I have noticed too many times, how beautiful things are in the store. I noticed a beautiful baby blanket with embrodiery in the store yesterday, just adorable. I thought perhaps I am wasting my time, although everyone seems to be appreciative when they receive these gifts. The cost of the machines, thread, material, tools and my time are not cheap. My cost vs the dept store cost. Anyone else feel like this?I did read where more people are going back to making gifts to save money! Is it really saving? I know I make gifts because I want too, but how smart is it I wonder at times.

CarrieAnne 12-06-2010 04:23 AM

I LOVE HM gifts! I dont think you are wasting your time at all!

SuziC 12-06-2010 04:24 AM

You are only wasting your time if there is no enjoyment in what you are creating. You can buy anything in a store. But the caring and passion cannot be purchased. If your motives are True then you create MasterPieces!! That cannot be bought anywhere!!!

ckcowl 12-06-2010 04:51 AM

back in the early 70's quilting really died off ... all sewing did, making clothes was no longer cost effective. patterns and fabric prices sky-rocketed and large department stores started popping up everywhere, we became (lazy) and my thoughts were...why should i put 10 hours into making my little girl this sundress, (and $10) when i can go to k-mart and buy it for $4...
as the 70's-80's moved on people began to realize that maybe sewing isn't a lost art...we can make items much better; better workmanship, better materials, higher quality finished item than any we can buy already made. and you do not have to 'settle' with those colors, or 'that' design, you can make it YOU! and the absolute best way to have clothes that actually fit-you...make your own...worth every cent.

sunflower126 12-06-2010 04:58 AM

I personally prefer to give homemade gifts. When we were young and raising kids and I didn't work outside the home, I made all of my Christmas gifts. There is something out there for everyone. I think most people enjoy getting a homemade gift.

BRenea 12-06-2010 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
back in the early 70's quilting really died off ... all sewing did, making clothes was no longer cost effective. patterns and fabric prices sky-rocketed and large department stores started popping up everywhere, we became (lazy) and my thoughts were...why should i put 10 hours into making my little girl this sundress, (and $10) when i can go to k-mart and buy it for $4...
as the 70's-80's moved on people began to realize that maybe sewing isn't a lost art...we can make items much better; better workmanship, better materials, higher quality finished item than any we can buy already made. and you do not have to 'settle' with those colors, or 'that' design, you can make it YOU! and the absolute best way to have clothes that actually fit-you...make your own...worth every cent.

I was born in the early 70's, and as I was growing up very few of my friends' moms sewed. My mom did, and she made me beautiful, unique clothes...and she insisted that I learn how to sew, too. I'm very thankful for that!

Kat Sews 12-06-2010 05:09 AM

For me making gifts is not only a pleasure, but a lot less money for nicer gifts. I recycle found and free items whenever I can. This year I have made quilts for my mother and mother in law from 100% cotton upholstery sample fabrics. By basting well I used some soft knit fabric (someone elses unwanted fabric) for the back and purchased just batting and thread. They turned out so nice that even my quilting group was impressed. I made handbags for my sisters and sister in-laws (8 total) also from the sample fabric. Total cost for 10 very nice gifts under $40. I believe with a little creativity you can save a lot of money making your own gifts.

bearisgray 12-06-2010 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I have noticed too many times, how beautiful things are in the store. I noticed a beautiful baby blanket with embrodiery in the store yesterday, just adorable. I thought perhaps I am wasting my time, although everyone seems to be appreciative when they receive these gifts. The cost of the machines, thread, material, tools and my time are not cheap. My cost vs the dept store cost. Anyone else feel like this?I did read where more people are going back to making gifts to save money! Is it really saving? I know I make gifts because I want too, but how smart is it I wonder at times.

Sometimes I wonder, too, about the cost effectiveness.

CarrieAnne 12-06-2010 05:48 AM

I think it can be pretty frugal too! If you make scrappy quilts, you can spend alot less....those are my favorites!

patchsamkim 12-06-2010 05:49 AM

I have a large stash...so making gifts helps me use what I have. I am doing tablerunners this year...have 9 done and 1 to go. I prefer to give homemade gifts...but only if I know the recipients are going to enjoy them....and they all will.